Should I apologize to my mom?

Joe king

A few months ago my dad was in a bad accident. He wasn't wearing his seatbelt and flew out his windshield. Fortunately, he broke his shoulder, a rib, and got a concussion, but nothing too serious.

Of course my mom was there every second and watched over him like a hawk. Since it happened, she's been at his Beck and call. I've never seen her so happy as when he woke up asking for her. She just bawled.

Well, a few months have gone by and my dad is getting back to normal. One of the things he does to cope is joke. It's been no accepting here. Someone asked him what he was thinking during the accident (I don't think he remembers honestly) and he said "well as i was flying out the window I thought there goes the trip to Hawaii." then laughs.

Yesterday we were talking about if he'd died, and started joking about insurance money and how mom would be set. She freaked out. Saying how dare I joke about her soulmate dying and how would I like it if it happened to me, and finally get out of her house.

He was joking too, and I wasn't saying I wished it'd happened. My sister said after she just cried and told him she wishes he would take it seriously and she almost lost him, even though she really didn't.

Should I apologize?

Yeah you probably should apologize. Sounds like the accident really traumatized your mom and she's not recovered from it yet. Just tell her that you didn't realize how painful the subject is for her and apologize.