I Am Concerned Over Thanksgiving

MissCongeniality

MissCongeniality

Okay I have not had any sleep so I apologize if this is confusing.

So for the first time in a long all my siblings will be together. They all wanted to join my family and my husbands family for thanksgiving. My siblings are great I love them to death but... they are trouble so why did I say yes? I mean it started out as one then suddenly they all start calling and emailing me and I just couldn't say know.

If I could describe my family or make a comparison I'd say my family is like the Gallagher family(from Shameless) only my family is a lot more dysfunctional. The reason I'm worried is... this is the first time we'll all be under the same roof in years. I mean we all have kept in touch but... none of us have all hung out as a group and plus my step brother got out of prison recently so this is really the first time we've all been together in a long time.

My other problem is my husband's family without going into the exact details they are pretty much the polar opposite very christian and many of have jobs that fall in the blue blood category. They are either lawyers or cops.

So I feel like it's going to be World War Three. I am doing my best to keep myself together but the only one of my siblings who probably won't be a problem is my older sister and she's a defense lawyer my in laws really don't like defense lawyers.

I see only two scenarios unfolding either someone from my husband's family does/says something (they are very judemental) or one of my siblings will do something. I'm hoping I'm over reacting I mean I have a habit of imagining a worse case scenario and then timesing it by infinity.

I'm only worried because my in laws have never liked me. I don't know why even before my history came out they just never liked me. Especially my mother in law. So if they don't like me how are they going to feel about my siblings. The weird thing is my siblings are accusing me of embarrassed of them.

DrReplyInRhymes

Your family's interaction with one another is not really your concern,

If they don't get along with each other, it's their own problem to burn.

Being the failure in your family means you get hidden and disconnected with,

Trust me I know, I'm the dude in the family they all wish they could just forget.

(The weird thing is my siblings are accusing me of embarrassed of them. )

Are you embarrassed by your family? Do you still love them the same?

Or, are you just the scapegoat of the family, taking the blunt of the blame?

Do your differences lie only in choice of profession each side of the family took?

For I feel those differences are completely superficial, and you can definitely overlook.

loveisanaction3
They all wanted to join my family and my husbands family for thanksgiving.

This sounds like a great opportunity for everyone to get to know each other better. Unless you have some history of your family and in-laws having issues, then you don't have anything to back up your fears. Your family wants to do it.

Things you can do:

- Prepare to be a peacemaker. You and your husband. If arguments or heated disagreements start, prepare to step in and change the topic or suggest that this is a difference in opinion that's better left alone.

- Prepare activities or distractions ahead of time that you can move members to if they are getting upset or confrontational. Like a separate room to watch TV, or some chores to do like need help fixing something or help with dinner.

Praying for peace during your Thanksgiving.

• Author
MissCongeniality

Okay so... quick update it went better than I thought oddly everyone got along but I was really embarrassed and frightened when they started sharing family stories about me. My husband and kids were surprised to learn that my brothers and sisters called me the cry baby of bunch. That is litterally what they have called me since I was two. My brothers and sisters were equally surprised my nickname by most of my kids is Ice Queen.