Should I wear my mom's engagement ring and band?

Gaeta

My parents have been married for 52 years. They are both alive and healthy. My mom surprised me during my last visit when she gave me her engagement ring with wedding band. She is suffering from arthritis and her fingers are all deformed so she will never wear them again.

So my question is: Should I wear them? it's not something I'd wear every day but I was wondering next time I see my mom at Xmas would she like to see me wearing them or it's something to keep not to wear?

Thank you.

GunslingerRoland

I'm sorry but that would be very weird to wear an engagement/wedding ring that doesn't represent your own marriage.

• Like 4

I wear my deceased mother's engagement ring on my right hand as a dress ring.

I would never wear her wedding ring as I think it would be totally inappropriate, as it was part of her wedding ceremony.

• Like 2
  • Author

I know men that wear their deceased father's wedding band on their right hand. That would be considered inappropriate?

what a lovely gesture from your mom :)

I currently work in jewelry, a few suggestions: Have the stones remounted, a necklace keepsake , or even leave them be and resize it.

I wish I had my grandmothers' wedding band and engagement ring. Not for its price tag, but for sentimental reasons.....My grandfather also had two pocket watches...One given when he was an elected official and one when he retired from his warden capacity. Those are long gone as well...Sad that family heirlooms are discarded ...for $$...

• Like 1

I wouldn't wear them, she is still alive and married - they t would be kept very safe though.

Did your Mum ask you to wear the rings?

• Like 1

i'd wear the rings when you are around your mother. just the way they are.

i'd never reset them, tho you could wear the engagement ring on your right hand and the band on your thumb.

what a lucky girl you are.

Maybe you can put one of the rings on a pretty necklace chain and wear it around your neck? It can be stylish and also have a lot of meaning to you.

• Like 1

I would imagine your mother gave you the rings so you could wear them. After all, if she valued them purely as dresser drawer keepsakes, she would have kept them herself. I would feel they're totally acceptable - both engagement ring and wedding band - on your right hand if they feel right to you. Perhaps check in with Mom if that's what she intended.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Your mother can put them on a chain and wear them around her neck. She can still have them on her person although not her hands.

Whilst she is still alive it is weird to wear them.

• 2 weeks later...

I wear my deceased mother's wedding band on my right hand everyday... I feel like I carry her with me everyday. I touch it, look at it, and think of her often when I wear it. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that she would be pleased that I have it, wear it and think of her often.

My parents were married for 40 years. They had a wonderful relationship and I feel by wearing the ring, I am remembering and honouring their relationship.

Because your mother is still living, I like the suggestion that she could wear them on a necklace. However, as I learned from my grandparents, sometimes it can be very important for them to give their possessions away while they are living... She could very much want you to have and wear the the ring and if that is the case, you will want to honor the request.

I think you should talk with your mother and respect her wishes.

Edited by BaileyB
  • Like 1