My mom

dogloverof2

As everyone knows, this last presidential election was crazy. My mom is an 80 something, and she is not happy with the outcome of it. She has made people mad with her opinion and views but also has become very unhappy. she has stopped going to church, and has excused herself from 2 organizations she had interests in all because of who people voted for. I don't get it. So now until 2020 when the next election comes around, it saddens me to think that she will live some of her last years miserable.. based on this stuff....

She is exercising a freedom. There is something good in a person who stands by their well thought out convictions ( principles).

My grandfather was a staunch democrat. Held office. When Nixon was voted in ...he knew trouble would erupt. And it did. He had (me- his only granddaughter) me sit and watched Watergate trials. He wanted me to understand our countries system....legally and politically. He sadly didn't get to see Nixon resign. That would have been his restoration of faith in the system. But boy oh boy his passion for politics was commendable.

If she stayed in the organisations, she'd be with people she's lost respect for. I think that sometimes it's better to be alone than with people who we don't respect.

Hopefully she will find kindred spirits somewhere else.

• Like 3
  • Author

I appreciate what you both have said. It saddens me tho to think that she will miss opportunities of good conversations, luncheons, activities and fellowship with people she used to look forward to seeing. All because of politics. But that's what she wants, I guess....

I know exactly what you mean. It’s just sad to see long-standing relationships between friends and family members collapsing over political differences. Let’s pray for healing and restoration.

I appreciate what you both have said. It saddens me tho to think that she will miss opportunities of good conversations, luncheons, activities and fellowship with people she used to look forward to seeing. All because of politics. But that's what she wants, I guess....

For your mom, it's not about politics. It's about the personal beliefs and ethics of those she's left behind. The way they vote is simply a reflection of what they believe.

• Author
For your mom, it's not about politics. It's about the personal beliefs and ethics of those she's left behind. The way they vote is simply a reflection of what they believe.

I totally get that, but what about the stuff in the past. the fun stuff, the conversations over coffee, the looking forward to holiday events, etc. That stuff if what made friendships. Long friendships. I guess what I'm saying is that, it is sad that this event will erase all of the stuff that mattered at one time.

I can relate, and I admire your moms determination and conviction. If she's like me, she probably can't tolerate certain people right now, due to their political preference, and what that preference says about them. She'll take a break for a while, and she'll hopefully regroup.