My mom's dog

Titos bro

My parents are older, and about eight years ago became pregnant with their third child. It wasn't something my sister and I were excited about, but eventually we got used to it. My mom's pregnancy was monitored pretty closely and everything went fine. Then, the baby was born. There were some issues when he was born and due to some negligence on the hospital's end, he passed at about three days old. I was the one who held him while he died... I'll always remember listening to my mom screaming in the hallway while that was going on. It was horrible.

After my mom went home she locked herself in the guest bedroom and stopped eating. She was really suicidal and depressed. After about six months my dad got her a puppy so that she would have to take care of it, and have something that needed her.

Their dog Tito definitely saved her life, and my sister and I refer to him as our hairy little brother. The dog goes everywhere but the doctor and the store with her, and is better taken care of than most kids. He's trained beautifully, and extremely mannered and obedient. My mom and dad are both really protective over him.

My father in law for whatever reason doesn't like him. My in laws are throwing a party for my wife and I at their house and I was told specifically Tito is not welcome. It's not because he's a dog, they have three yappy Yorkies of their own, but I don't know why he's not invited. I'm worried they won't come if I tell them, or there'll be drama over it.

I know he can't come, but I don't want to be the one to tell my mom. What should I do?

Just tell her. It really shouldn't be that big of a deal. Not everybody wants someone's dog at their house for a party. And them having dogs doesn't mean anything. It's their house, of course the dogs that live there are going to be there.

• Like 1

My sister in law can't figure out why her dog is not welcome... The fact he cocks his leg over everything and costs a small fortune in dry cleaning and replacement furniture and various other cleaning products... and all she does is say "oh you naughty boy..."

Not saying your parents dog is like this but he may have a bit of a "thing" about your in laws that your parents may have missed...

Just say to your parents that you think it best if he stay at home this time because with all those people and other yappy dogs it would be pretty stressful for him. If he can cope when they go to the doctors or the store he should be able to cope for a couple of hours. To be honest its what I would do with mine and they come with me everywhere most of the time too.

I would ask him why Tito can't go/why he doesn't like him. Is the area in which you live, too warm or too cold for him to stay in the car?

My uncle has a little dog who goes everywhere with him. She belonged to his wife (he lost her two months ago), and that little one means so much to him. You can see it when he beams down at her, and she looks up and wags her tail at him. She's always in his lap, or close by, and was only left in the car when we went into a restaurant for a little while, and to a funeral.

if you are not the host then you do not have to carry the invitation nor the instructions.

around here we always advise each other to "stay out of the middle".

i'd try one more time to explain that the dog is like her child and as gently as possible explain what happened to your mom and her baby and how she got her new "baby".

but i would not be the one to tell her the "rules" of the invite.

that's the hosts job. the same as if they don't want anyone to wear shoes in their house, detest alcohol or that they are vegans.

their house, their responsibility.

i'd be surprised if she goes without her pet.

• Like 1