Here We Go Again... In-law issues.

Kellster93

Warning: This is a long one. But, please be patient... I need the help.

I married my husband 9 years ago. My parents bought my house (legally my mom & son's house) right after I got married because I wanted to rent a home 3 miles away. My parents would've done anything to keep my son close by. BTW: My first husband (son's dad) died when my son was 5.

My in-laws immediately assumed everything was half my husbands, and therefore, half theirs. Examples are that they assumed they'd share my basement for their flea market stuff, that the garage was half theirs, and the shed was theirs. They YELLED at me because I said I was using the basement as a greenhouse for my flowers.

Our wedding gift from them was a $20 gift card. They have money, but have always lived thrifty.

They always made me feel as though I was beneath them because I'm dark-complected (I'm Sicilian).

My parents paid my mortgage in full so my son would have security, and our wills leave everything to him.

I set mil/fil in their places (or so i thought) within a month or so. My husband's brother started coming over every single weekend to play pool, and would get angry if we weren't home, or had other plans.

Brother-in-law would act out tv shows and commercials as they were on... tell me he wasn't in the mood for the lunches / dinners I was making, etc.

This went on for about 1 1/2 years... although he and my husband KNEW I was unhappy about it. My husband was just to soft to tell him to call first. Finally put my foot down, and hubby told his brother he'd call when he had free time.

In the meantime, I had started drinking.

My son has since moved out-of-state for a job, but is returning within the year.

2 years ago, the in-laws inherited $1.5 mil. I still maintained my distance, since no money in the world would change what we both felt about one another. My parents had always helped us if we needed that help.

1 year ago, my husband needed $500 for work on his car. I told him to ask his parents. While he was at work, they stopped over with a check for $400, and gave me the biggest lecture about how they 'can't keep helping us', and that we could get a decent car for 'only $20,000'. I said that if we had $20,000, he wouldn't have asked for $500.

I also said, "When have we asked you for anything? Do you know that my mother paid $1600 / month for my mortgage?" They said "You mean BOTH OF YOUR MORTGAGE". I ripped their check up.

Anyhow, my 'dream' finally came true a month ago when they had decided to move down south in about 10 months. Until...

They let my husband know they'd stay with us a month out the year, and that my husband's brother 'might need to stay with us until he finds a place'.

I love my husband, but I told him that 10 months is plenty of time for his brother to find a place.

Suddenly, they've gone back to calling every Saturday and Sunday morning to let us know they're stopping over. 'Stopping over' to them means "We're saying we'll be there at about 11:00 am, but we're really coming at 9 and will stay until you're literally falling asleep."

It's gotten to the point where I start drinking the first call of Saturday morning.

I... hate... my... life.

"What is money?"

"Money's what makes a man act funny."

- Eminem.

I've never accepted a penny from anyone since I was 17.

I have everything I need and want, and no debts.

I've worked for everything I have.

If I were you, I'd change my identity and go live where nobody knows me.

Tough love:

Stop accepting money from people.

Thats whats brought you to the point of hating your life.

Seriously.

You did this.

Take care.

• Author

Saku -

Thank you for your reply. Who can dispute a quote from the all knowing Eminem?

Hope everyone on here is as satirical as you.

I needed a good laugh. :D

• Like 1
Saku -

Thank you for your reply. Who can dispute a quote from the all knowing Eminem?

Hope everyone on here is as satirical as you.

I needed a good laugh. :D

I'm glad yo got a laugh out of it.

But seriously, I've seen many times how things can go sour when money is given or borrowed.

Its something to avoid whenever possible.