Mom Driving Me Insane

Divinity12

Divinity12

I've been suffering from depression for the past few years. Recently my mom has been making it worse.

My parents divorced in 2009. My mother has had her fair share of disaster relationships since then. And all of her previous boyfriend's had lived with us at some point. I've never felt that it was my place to interfere so I've always stayed out of her business and kept out of her and her boyfriend's business even though I'd have to live with them.

She was single for a few months. Recently she told me that she wants me to meet a good friend of hers and that he's a teacher like her. I met him and discovered that he's married. It didn't bother me until he started spending nights here. Whenever her friends ask her if she's having an affair with him she denies it. But I HEAR them every night. I hate that she's lying to everyone.

On top of everything she's been lying that she has cancer. I know for a fact that she doesn't. She takes me to all her checkups. And I get updates from the medical insurance company every time she sees a doctor. I understand that she wants attention from her friends. But does it have to be by lying about something so serious?

I'm sorry that this is happening. You can't change her. She's going to do what she wants regardless. And if you try to intervene, she will just be resentful of you. The only person you have control over is you. You mentioned that you're depressed. I think the first step that you need to take is to focus your energy on getting yourself in a better place emotionally. This situation with your mom is not a great environmental factor and could be contributing to how you feel.

I don't think you mentioned how old you are... Is it possible for you to get your own place? Or to stay with someone else for a while?