Trveling with Kids: ID Question

Otter2569

Hi, I am taking my kids to the US Virgin Islands this summer. Do they need any ID in order to get through security? I know a lot has changed in the last few years regarding air travel.

My kids are 13 & 17. Neither have a passport or a license. I definitely want to avoid any issues at the airport.

GunslingerRoland

I'm not sure how the US Virgin Islands works, it's a bit of a special case. But normally anyone any age travelling to a different country needs a passport.

I would probably get them passports to be on the safe side.

Also as far as ID's I'm surprised they've been able to make it this far in today's world without ID's. If they aren't planning (in the case of the 17 year old) to get their learners anytime soon. I'd encourage them to get the plain ID version of the drivers license. Especially your 17 year old will start needing it all the time as he turns 18 and gets a credit card, and wants to book trips on his own and do adult stuff.

You don't technically need passports if you're US citizens but they'll still need to show proof of citizenship when they board to leave.

Hi, I am taking my kids to the US Virgin Islands this summer. Do they need any ID in order to get through security? I know a lot has changed in the last few years regarding air travel.

My kids are 13 & 17. Neither have a passport or a license. I definitely want to avoid any issues at the airport.

If you don't have a passport you need to bring thier birth certificates. Also the 17 will get a hard time without having a picture id. I started running into trouble flying domestic when my daughter was high school age and had no picture id. It was the summer between 8 & 9 grade. I thought we might no make it on the plane. The guard was NOT happy.

You have enough time to get either a passport (which I recommend) or a non driving id.

Also you may want to go to the British virgin island while you are in the area. I have been to St. John twice. It is so nice. Also don;t forget about the exit tax to be pain is cash.

If there is even the smallest chance you will have a layover in Mexico, your kids will absolutely need a passport.

Better to be prepared with one than to be stuck without one.

Miss Peach

I took my kiddo to the Caribbean and got one of the US passport cards. It's not good for all international travel but it works for anywhere in North America including the Caribbean, Mexico, and Canada. There are a lot of changes so border patrol is a lot stricter about not allowing drivers licenses and birth certificates as they had in the past.

I'm not sure about travel from a US city to an US island but I would bring one just in case. If you are travelling through a second country then I would because I have often had to go through some sort of border screening even just switching planes when flying internationally.

If the travel was completely within the continental US, I was never asked for an ID for the kiddo. But I have been asked about my citizenship a few times by border agents even while travelling domestically. I've never had to prove it though.

I took my kiddo to the Caribbean and got one of the US passport cards. It's not good for all international travel but it works for anywhere in North America including the Caribbean, Mexico, and Canada. There are a lot of changes so border patrol is a lot stricter about not allowing drivers licenses and birth certificates as they had in the past.

I'm not sure about travel from a US city to an US island but I would bring one just in case. If you are travelling through a second country then I would because I have often had to go through some sort of border screening even just switching planes when flying internationally.

If the travel was completely within the continental US, I was never asked for an ID for the kiddo. But I have been asked about my citizenship a few times by border agents even while travelling domestically. I've never had to prove it though.

I thought about that but a passport is only $20 more and you can go everywhere.

• Author

We are laying over in Puerto Rico. I know you don't need a passport to visit either destination but I never thought about any type of ID they would need to get on the plane...ugh!

My older guy has a school ID with a pic - does that count for anything?

Edited by Otter2569
  • Author

PS we are going to St John for 10 days. Has anyone been before? This is our first time.

GunslingerRoland
We are laying over in Puerto Rico. I know you don't need a passport to visit either destination but I never thought about any type of ID they would need to get on the plane...ugh!

Again I'm Canadian so our rules might be slightly different but I would assume it's government issued id only. So no school id, doesn't count for anything.

It's really difficult to fly even within the country without a passport last I checked.

Again, if something happens - and it OFTEN does with airlines who fly to that part of the world! - if your plane gets rerouted to Mexico, you guys will be screwed.

Go get passports immediately just to get rid of the headache factor of wondering. They are going to need them eventually and it might be the case of a Murphy Law: If you get them passports, nothing will happen and all will be fine, but if you try and rely on a school I.D., you will end up with some Federales breathing down your neck and searching your luggage for contraband.

• Like 3
losangelena

OP, go to the state dept website and read what it says there. You can look up travel requirements for any and all countries.

I agree with Carrie, too. Better just to get them passports and be done with it. Just don't leave your fact finding to a bunch of forum users!

And no, that school id counts for nothing.

• Like 2

And no, that school id counts for nothing.

Repeated for truth.

A school I.D. is NOT a government-issued form of identification. It probably has less importance than a library card.

• Like 1

Also - in case you didn't know, Otter - if their mother is alive, you need a signed, notarized letter authorizing you to travel with them.

Some airlines will check to make sure you aren't kidnapping them. The letter needs to state the length of travel and itinerary.

My husband prepares these letters whenever his Ex-Wife travels with their children, but she refuses to provide such letters for us which has kept our travel contained to the continental United States.

PS we are going to St John for 10 days. Has anyone been before? This is our first time.

St. John is wonderful. I have been there twice. Take a sail boat tripit is so worth it.

Last time we went we were down there when Carnival was happening it was great.

I would get passports you have time they are not that expensive. Esp your 17 year old. HE is going to run into trouble even flying domestically with no ID. A school ID won't cut it.

• Like 1
DO I NEED A PASSPORT TO VISIT THE U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS?

If you are a U.S. citizen a passport is not required, but it still serves as the best identification when traveling. Otherwise, you must be prepared to show evidence of citizenship when departing the islands, such as a raised-seal birth certificate and government-issued photo ID.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, then a passport issued by your country of origin is required.

If you are not sure of your status, please contact the U.S Customs & Border Protection agency. (http://www.cbp.gov)

Frequently Asked Questions | US Virgin Islands

Just get passports. You should be able to get the expedited ones in 3 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Author

OMFG! I thought this was a nice easy family trip with my boys. I had no idea what a pain in the ass (and extra expense) traveling within the US is going to be.

I agree passports are the way to go. We leave in just less than a month. Of course its another unexpected expense after an already costly month. Plus now gettting their mom involved (we get along fine)...I need a vaction!

• Author

Thanks everyone for your feedback...I was not anticipating needing a passport. Of course this comes at a time where I need to act ASAP and at the busiest time of the year (work, school graduations, etc).

Passports in less than a month? Get on it IMMEDIATELY! You are going to be paying some hefty expediting fees!!!!

losangelena

Otter, if they don't need passports, why don't you get them non-license ID cards? They're like $15.

• Author

Because I am a ****ing idiot and would rather blow $400!

Honestly I have never heard of these and everyone is talking passport. I had no time to really think about it and decided to run myself ragged (including getting pulled over for speeding last night racing to CVS for passport photos) to get the passport forms in the mail today.

I consider myself a good guy: I am thankful for everything I have, work hard, am a good dad, treat everyone with respect but I swear the last few weeks have been a ****ing **** storm! Calgon take me away!!

Um ....I hate to be the bearer of bad news but first-timers have to apply in person at a passport facility. (Post office, etc.)

:eek:

• Author

We were at the post office first thing Saturday morning...hoping its smooth sailing from here on out!