Is it weird that my parents won't celebrate some holidays?

Mirandaaa

My grandma was asking me what I am doing for my dad on Father's day. I thought it was kind of weird question because my parents don't really celebrate mother's day or father's day. At least they never taught me to celebrate it. I was never really aware those days were a big deal until I started school. Then I started making my parents cards, and they loved them. But they just don't celebrate it. On Mother's day, my mom got my grandma a card, and she called her on the phone.

But my other grandparents (my dad's parents) never celebrated either one of those holidays. They said that every day should be celebrated the same and that you are supposed to honor your parents every day. So, my dad never pays attention to holidays like that, and he doesn't expect me to. My friends sometimes think it's weird that my parents don't celebrate christmas, and birthdays, etc with presents and stuff. The only presents I ever remember opening are from my mom's parents. My dad's parents never celebrated christmas and birthdays with presents opening, so that's how my dad was raised, and I guess my mom agreed because that's how they both are. My parents never went christmas shopping, ever. We never opened presents in my house.

My family believes that charity is important and we should always give to people who need it, not just holidays. The way we celebrate holidays is by having family meals and time with our family. My parents buy me things all the time, but never on holidays or my birthday, and it's never wrapped up like a present. If they think I need something, they get it. And if I really want something, they might buy it for me. But my parents are kind of tightwads with money, especially my dad. My friends said that was weird. But if anyone ever needs anything, my parents always are generous with money.

So is it weird? I don't think so, but most people I guess would think it is weird.

Some customs and traditions come from the upbringing.

For you, this is your family's' pattern. I never mind folks being charitable.. Yet it's a bit odd to not practice it in your own home. Celebrating or commemorating a person or dates of honor seem as a way to validate. We each do enjoy that.

Are your parents j witness's or carry that philosophy?

Do they also not celebrate anniversaries?

Even as A country we celebrate historic events.. 4th July, t-day, and vet day.

Your family sounds like they simply utilize their time to be more outside venture since the home life is stable. Perhaps they are less material minded and more life minded.

Maybe ask your parents if they'd like to try a tradition.. ? Maybe they will enjoy it?

• Like 1
  • Author

Both my parents grew up in a Methodist church. No, they aren't Jehovah witnesses, if that's what it is. It doesn't have anything to do with religious beliefs for them. They just think it's better to celebrate holidays with just family meals and get-togethers. But 4th of July is the only holiday my dad will buy fireworks, but only if he has a 4th of July party. And then mostly other people are shooting them off. When I was younger, he would buy them for me every 4th of July. He even let me light some. I even remember the first time a black cat went off in my finger, and he laughed. Okay, it only hurt for like 3 seconds, but still. So then I started lighting them and throwing them at him, and one went down his shirt and went off. He screamed, and then he laughed, until my mom finally said that fireworks are not toys. Okay, I just thought that was a funny story. 4th of July is his favorite, I think.

I tend not to celebrate holidays either. Mother's day and father's day will involve a token gift, breakfast in bad and a nice day with the family. We don't do Valentines Day. To me, your family sounds pretty normal.