Put my dog down today, feeling lost

KittyKat67

KittyKat67

I put my 15 year old dog down today. I have had major depression and Isolated myself with my dog for the last years. I should have made more ouside contact and now I am totally alone. I know that because the two friends I have to call to lean on are kinda busy and talked for me a little but I always envisioned a good gal friend who would be over at 2 in the am if I needed her. I am that type of friend.

So...now what. I don't even know what to with my life anymore. I miss her so much. I have been through abuse and trauma and she saved my life.

I am so cofused now because my whole life revolved around her. I have no friends where I live, moved to a new city 5 years ago.

Any advice? I sound pathetic, I feel pathetic....i know it will get easier, anybody else lose a dog that was your whole world??

MidwestUSA

I just put my sixth down in March, I've had dogs since 1985. It never gets any easier.

You have to give yourself credit for giving her such a long life - she really was up there. Try to remember the happy times with her.

Even tho I don't recommend rushing out to get another, this last time we were just looking, and one chose us, not the other way around. I've always viewed a 'vacancy', so to speak, as a chance to rescue another.

Can you get out into the world more now? Volunteer somewhere? Maybe even with animals?

I'm so sorry for your loss. One of the things we have to realize when we get them is that we will likely outlive them. And that's what ensures we'll be there for them till the end.

• Like 1
todreaminblue

Hey kitty Kat i had a rottie called bear...i had to have her put down when she was twelve years old......i also suffer from depression and bear helped me through some really rough times..we lost weight together....we did soem serious road work together...she watched me kick box and do aerobics..then we would run together..she saw me through a really bad break up.......she never judged me...she just loved me.....and i loved her back......she listened to em and would just grin her goofy grin...and i would end up smiling back....i prayed my heart out when she got sick...bawled my eyes out when she had to go.....god gave us animals.....not just to have domion over but to walk besides us ...to comfort us...so we can smile when they do goofy stuff...and feel good when we dont..to protect us more than the cold hard metal of a gun....ever could.......

but with all creatures....they have to move on ...and i do believe god has them up for us to be with again...animals get tired and old too....

your dog was with you for a good life...you loved her or him and he or she loved you back.....your pup had a good life.......and you will move on through this and own another......i suggest you do ..you have love to give and a dog has love to give you back....just take your time in getting another....allow yourself to grieve and remember all the good times..from experience no other animal will replace your companion...and i got another dog while i was grieving i succumbed to pressure from my family to get another..... and i feel i didnt pay her as much attention as i should..which makes em feel guilty......

.animals are given to people in retirement homes and people with disabilities for a reason...theres nothing like the love and loyalty of a companion animal....but people rock too.........luckily i had family and friends aeround me who understood how i felt about bear.....if you dont have those people around you ...i understand you...i know what it feels like to lose a companion......and you have a right to be sad....just know you will them again...one day...smilin...its a day i look forward too...theres even scriptures written about animals...god loves all his creations.he knows what animals mean to us..and especially you....and he has your pup young and frisky again....one day my friend you will have your pup again...and all the animals you have owned....hugs....deb......

Edited by todreaminblue

So sorry for this loss.

I rarely advocate substituting after a fresh loss ... Take some moments and grieve. This pet had value to you . Sending support your way... We here that love our four pawed friends do share in your sorrow... In your heart the healing will come..

• Like 1
todreaminblue
So sorry for this loss.

I rarely advocate substituting after a fresh loss ... Take some moments and grieve. This pet had value to you . Sending support your way... We here that love our four pawed friends do share in your sorrow... In your heart the healing will come..

me either tayla...grieving needs to happen...i shouldnt have succumbed to family pressure...but i did ...and i love her now of course...but getting another doesnt replace the animal you lose..i believe it makes it harder to grieve properly......deb

So...now what. I don't even know what to with my life anymore. I miss her so much.

I felt this way when I lost my fishy friend. Don't laugh. Worst experience of my life so far. I spend a large part of my life looking after my fish (water changes, cleaning filters, preparing food, etc).

Maybe think about a new (solitary) hobby. Even though it's almost impossible to get interested in something right now, you desperately need the distraction. Some sort of challenge, or interest, or crusade.

• Like 1

So sorry Kittykat, such a painful loss. My dog brings me a lot of joy and happiness but as I live alone and I'm introverted, he is my major source of companionship so I get what you are saying about being isolated with your dog. I'm afraid of how much it's going to hurt when I lose my furry friend. Just let yourself cry and grieve for as long as it takes. You gave your pup a great life and she rewarded you with love and loyalty. It was a beautiful relationship. So hard to say goodbye. My thoughts are with you.

• Like 1

KittyKat67, so sorry about your loss, I do know how tough that can be. A dog can certainly be as important to someone as any human friend.

I know it's too late to do now but hopefully you did some of the things I found to be helpful;

Take lots of pictures while their alive.

Clip off some fur at some point during their life. I don't know why but it seems to help me feel like I have a better connection to them after death.

Keep their leash as another warm reminder of the time you had together.

Cremation and then keep the ashes. I intend to have my Wolfhounds ashes thrown in w/ my remains when I go. Knowing this is sort of comforting.

Take video while their alive and healthy. This is the one thing I didn't do and I certainly regret it.

I know it's painful and I'm wishing you the best.

summerdowling87

I'm sorry for your loss.

And no its not pathetic. It's okay to be sad and it okay to grieve your buddy.