My dog is my family and best friend, is it time to put her down?

KittyKat67

KittyKat67

She is 15 golden, chow , husky and really my only source of comfort and love for the last years. She has doggie dementia really bad now. She paces and wanders if she is not sleeping. She walks in circles paces, goes outside and walks along the side of the fence then come back gets stuck in corners can't see too well but she has alot of energy still. Paces for hours at a time. GEt stuck and doesn't know how to back up. Her hind legs are now weakening and she has to be helped up if she is not on carpet. I have now put alot of carpet in my hardwood floors. She also pees if left for too many hours now. I have watched her alot and I don't ever see her coming out of that dementia mode..she is constantly on a mission of pacing.

I know this is not a good life for her. Do I put her down? She does eat good, enjoys her walks for about 15 min a day. She came and licked my face the other day so she is AWARE. That is why I don't know what to do. If she is out of it totally then ok. but she is aware still. She has a smaller dog in the house but rarely pays attention to him. She is in her own world. I love her so I don't want to let her go but I will if I know she is suffering. I imagined bringing a cancer stricken dying dog to the vet to be put down. Not one that is still capeable of going for walks and enjoying eating. Is it something you would put a dog down due to the dementia? In my heart I knwo this is no life for a dog. In the wild, they would die along time ago, we as humans keep them alive. I don't knwo what to do.

Hi KittyKat67; I've never dealt w/ dementia in a dog before, I'm sorry you're going thru this w/ yours. A few years ago I had my Wolfhound put to sleep when his hips went out completely. I know how it is to be there, waiting and watching and helpless while your dog goes thru the end of its life.

From what I read in your post I don't think that I personally could have her put to sleep yet. I'm not saying it wouldn't be the right thing to do but if she still gets enjoyment from her walks and she enjoys eating I think I would be haunted by doubts if I had done the right thing.

My Wolfhound was so frail toward the end he could barely stand but he lived for two things; walks and food! It doesn't sound like your best friend will be around much longer and I know that's a incredibly hard decision to make.

To me, chronic pain, lack of mobility, constant suffering that takes all their interest out of everything they used to enjoy are the things that I would base that decision on, but that's just me and mostly because I would be afraid of questioning my decision later.

The bottom line tho, I think, is you obviously love her and want the best for her so ultimately whichever decision you make for her will be the right one.

• Like 1

Your dog will tell you when it's time if you are paying attention. It's the last act of kindness we can give our best friends.

Check out a website called Rainbow Bridge, Pet Loss Grief Support, Monday Candle Ceremony. They can help with making the decision. They offer wonderful resources. I found them to be a great source of comfort when my furbabies went to Rainbow Bridge.

• Like 1

I know this is the hardest decisions I have had to make. My favorite old dog survived cancer only to be disabled with hip dysplasia, but she was never senile and her personality was the same. She had never once peed in the house, but because of her dysplasia, I came home to find she had fallen and couldn't get back up and peed herself. Now that was one thing, her not being able to get up, but she felt SO bad for peeing that I couldn't stand to see her start feeling bad about herself, and that was when I knew it was time.

If she is still able to go on walks and isn't having to struggle too much that she can get stuck with no one home and is afraid, then maybe you have a little more time. But you can't wait until they are not themselves, because none of my dogs stopped being their sweet selves, but I won't let them suffer if i can help it like when their body organs begin to fail or they need too many vet visits and that stresses them out.

I'm so sorry. It's the worst decision to have to make, but you have to think of it as lucky for them you are able to give them that gift of not dying painfully when you feel the time is right.

• Like 1

Aww...I'm so sorry you are at this point. I dread this so much. Perhaps you could talk to your vet and get his opinion on whether your dog is still happy or suffering. I had to get my big kitty put down due to cancer a few years ago and it was pretty obvious when it was time because he stopped eating. Your situation is more complicated and so maybe a vet's professional opinion would help.