My parents left for 3 weeks :(

Mirandaaa

They left yesterday and went to stay with my dad's parents, and they left me with my grandmother (mom's mother) who has breast cancer. They said I need a break from them. So I guess my whole summer has been ruined.

I'm confused.

How is three weeks ruining your summer? And why not use the opportunity to establish a good relationship with your grandmother before she dies?

Remember that your grandmother was once your age as well and she may have some great stories to tell!

• Like 3
  • Author

She's not dying. They caught it in early enough stages and she is going to be okay they said. I didn't mean to sound like I don't want to be with her. I love her. But I really wanted to spend time at my other grandparents house in Maryland. It's my favorite place to go in the summer. They said they would take me later in the summer before school starts again, but I don't understand why they couldn't take me with them this time.

How old are you?

3 weeks from now it technically won't be summer yet. Summer doesn't officially start until June 21.

Your parents are dealing with something. Somebody else needs to be there for your sick grandmother & that is you. You can go to Maryland when they get back.

Most people would be happy to have time apart from their parents. Why are you throwing yourself a pity party?

Your parents' statement that they need time off from you sounds like a rotten thing to say to their own child but I'm not following your extreme reaction. Can you elaborate?

Moxie Lady

I have a thought for you Mirandaaa. I read some of your previous posts and I think you are struggling, and you are young. Its good that you post here to get your thoughts out and some feedback.

When I was a little older than you I took a class in my freshman year of college that focused on women's history. One of the requirements was to interview a grandparent (if the person had one) about how they grew up and then write an essay describing what you learned. I interviewed my grandmother, who I thought I knew very well. I knew nothing! I was stunned at what I learned about her life. She talked and talked, she loved that I wanted to know about her life growing up, and she was so happy.

I wrote that essay up and got an A on it. Then I made copies and gave one to her and the other to her daughter (my mother). Now her legacy will be forever recorded, and it is an amazing story. I don't mean it is a story that would get a book written or a movie made, but it was the story of strength and determination and love of a wonderful woman. Even more special was how much she loved sharing and me preserving her legacy. As a college student I had not much money so I gave the copy I had to my mother at Christmas. No gift could have pleased her more.

You have 3 weeks with your grandma. Use those weeks to show you have grown (as your posts have shown you have). Talk to her. Write her story. Preserve her story. Show both her and your parents how much your family means to you. Give them a gift that can never be bought. And then when you get the chance, do it for your other grandma.

I guarantee you, it will be something you never regret. I dont know if you will take my advice at this point in your life, because it does mean focusing on something and someone else other than the way you want things to go (and I dont mean that in a negative way, it just requires a particular mindset). I hope it helps you but if not, I hope it helps someone.

• Like 2
whichwayisup
They left yesterday and went to stay with my dad's parents, and they left me with my grandmother (mom's mother) who has breast cancer. They said I need a break from them. So I guess my whole summer has been ruined.

Your summer hasn't been ruined. Summer hasn't even started yet, aren't you still in school?

It's only 3 weeks, take this time to bond with your grandmother and have fun with her.

whichwayisup
She's not dying. They caught it in early enough stages and she is going to be okay they said. I didn't mean to sound like I don't want to be with her. I love her. But I really wanted to spend time at my other grandparents house in Maryland. It's my favorite place to go in the summer. They said they would take me later in the summer before school starts again, but I don't understand why they couldn't take me with them this time.

Doesn't school end mid June/end of June?

You'll go again later in the summer with your parents.

bathtub-row

This seems pretty extreme. The last I read from you, I thought things were getting better with your parents, and you had a new kitten. What happened that they have gone away, left you with another relative, and said you need a break from them?

• Author
I have a thought for you Mirandaaa. I read some of your previous posts and I think you are struggling, and you are young. Its good that you post here to get your thoughts out and some feedback.

When I was a little older than you I took a class in my freshman year of college that focused on women's history. One of the requirements was to interview a grandparent (if the person had one) about how they grew up and then write an essay describing what you learned. I interviewed my grandmother, who I thought I knew very well. I knew nothing! I was stunned at what I learned about her life. She talked and talked, she loved that I wanted to know about her life growing up, and she was so happy.

I wrote that essay up and got an A on it. Then I made copies and gave one to her and the other to her daughter (my mother). Now her legacy will be forever recorded, and it is an amazing story. I don't mean it is a story that would get a book written or a movie made, but it was the story of strength and determination and love of a wonderful woman. Even more special was how much she loved sharing and me preserving her legacy. As a college student I had not much money so I gave the copy I had to my mother at Christmas. No gift could have pleased her more.

You have 3 weeks with your grandma. Use those weeks to show you have grown (as your posts have shown you have). Talk to her. Write her story. Preserve her story. Show both her and your parents how much your family means to you. Give them a gift that can never be bought. And then when you get the chance, do it for your other grandma.

I guarantee you, it will be something you never regret. I dont know if you will take my advice at this point in your life, because it does mean focusing on something and someone else other than the way you want things to go (and I dont mean that in a negative way, it just requires a particular mindset). I hope it helps you but if not, I hope it helps someone.

Thanks for this lovely idea. She's not that talkative. She's all huggy and kissy and everything but she's kind of quiet, and she likes reading. She can speak French and she's good at fixing meal.s. She likes Sunny (my kitten) but she won't let him on her a lot because doesn't want his hair on her. :( I wanted to take a pic of us together, me with her and post it on Facebook, but I'm not sure she knows what Facebook is, because my parents don't even have Facebook accounts. They think it's stupid.

• Author
Doesn't school end mid June/end of June?

You'll go again later in the summer with your parents.

My school is already out. It always ends in May.

• Author
This seems pretty extreme. The last I read from you, I thought things were getting better with your parents, and you had a new kitten. What happened that they have gone away, left you with another relative, and said you need a break from them?

Nothing happened. Maybe they just think I would miss them, which I do kind of. I've just never really been away from them, so it's sad without them here, but my grandma is nice.

A similar thing happened to me many, many years ago. Looking back I think my parents wanted a bit of time to themselves. It left me with a much closer relationship with my grandfather. I kept this relationship for the rest of his life, into my 20's and 30's and I have many good memories from it.

Make the most of this opportunity!

I fully agree with this idea. I have one living grandparent, and she lives on the other side of the world, and so I rarely see her. There's also a slight language barrier between us, so communicating with her can sometimes be a challenge. Because of this, I didn't know what it was like to interact with someone many years older than me--until I started working in a nursing home. The stories I hear from the elderly are fascinating, the way they talk about their childhoods, teenage years, etc. It gave me a whole new perspective on life, and made me realize that you can never truly know someone unless you talk to them. It also made me realize that they're actually not that different from me, and that we've had many similar experiences! To be honest, I never expected to have so much in common with people who are 50-60 years older than me.

So I second this. Talk to your grandmother. If she's quiet, ask her questions and listen to her responses, however short they may be. Tell her a bit about yourself too, and if she doesn't know what facebook is, explain it to her! I think it would open up some interesting avenues for conversation.

Moxie Lady
Thanks for this lovely idea. She's not that talkative. She's all huggy and kissy and everything but she's kind of quiet, and she likes reading. She can speak French and she's good at fixing meal.s. She likes Sunny (my kitten) but she won't let him on her a lot because doesn't want his hair on her. :( I wanted to take a pic of us together, me with her and post it on Facebook, but I'm not sure she knows what Facebook is, because my parents don't even have Facebook accounts. They think it's stupid.

Thanks Mirandaaa. My grandmother was quiet too but she opened up when I started asking her questions about her childhood and growing up. And it was really interesting. Either way, I hope you enjoy your time with her. :)

• Like 1
  • Author

Actually I am having fun. She's not really boring. We baked two batches of cookies. Tonight, she's making a meatloaf. Which I don't really like, but she promised me I will love the way she makes it. :) My grandpa wanted to stay home because he has a garden, But he's coming over for supper tonight. I think he misses my grandma. :)

summerdowling87
Actually I am having fun. She's not really boring. We baked two batches of cookies. Tonight, she's making a meatloaf. Which I don't really like, but she promised me I will love the way she makes it. :) My grandpa wanted to stay home because he has a garden, But he's coming over for supper tonight. I think he misses my grandma. :)

Maybe your parents needed a vacation and they thought you have a good time with grandma.

I'd say enjoy it.

My granny passed away 5 years ago I'd love to spend time with her baking or doing whatever. Time flies just enjoy you'll have tons of summer vacations later on)

• Like 1
stillafool

I don't know your age but are there other people your age near your grandma's house that you can meet and befriend? I think you need to start spending more time with people your own age. Parents and grandparents are wonderful but you do need your own friends.