How can I get through to my brother????

KittyKat67

KittyKat67

My brother has alot of issues and instead of bashing him, I'm really concerned. Here is the current mess I'm trying to help him with:

1. He has not worked a steady job in 8 years. He has had 1 month, 3 month, etc jobs but thats it. Prior to that he worked for 15 years at the same company. I looked at his resume and was apalled!! He put every single job even for 1 month on his resume. He has like 6 jobs that are under 3 months, one was for 2 weeks. I told him he won't get a job like that.......and he has to errr well not lie, but omit those jobs. He won't listen.

2. What should he do about his resume?? Is it wrong for me telling him to omit those and I would help him as a reference for something else inbetween...I know lieing is not the answer...but he is homeless living with my parents.

I'm not proud but I had to lie to get my current job. yes I will pay for that lie through my higher power, but I am reliable and doing a very good job and am grateful to be working. I was like him and suffered through so much depression it almost ruined my life. Companies don't want to hear that. I will do whatever I gotta dom thats me. I can't understand how he can't be out looking for a job everyday!! Any ideas on how to get his self esteem up and help him? He smokes and I asked how he gets his smoke and gas money, he said mom.

Edited by KittyKat67

Re-write his resume for him.

He's using a classic chronological order which doesn't serve him well given his short tenure. Revise the resume to be more task / accomplishment oriented.

• Like 1

Give him a list of employment agencies that help with writing CVs (rather than you doing it for him, you might not be much better).

That's all you can do. You can give him advice but ultimately it's his responsibility.

Art_Critic

I personally wouldn't put anything under 6 months on a resume unless you are looking for temp work..

Putting a 3 month job down will do more harm than good as 3 months is considered the probationary period for employment so it will look like each company has had an issue with him without the 90 day mark and just cuts him loose...

Yes it's wrong to lie. Moreover, when an employer finds out you lied, they will fire you for that no matter how good of a worker you were. If they don't fire you for lying but you get wrongfully terminated, you will not be entitled to what are called "front pay" damages (future lost wages) because in the middle of the law suit they will legitimately fire you for lying & that means you can't get more damages from that date forward.

Lying makes things worse, not better.

• 2 weeks later...

How old is your brother first off!!?

And its nice to have family that care. But family that is into all your business and

baby you dont help you grow up and gain any skill yourself!

You sound like someone that is doing this to him.

If its a grown person you dont have to baby him and be in his business all time.

You can advice him and when he want to do something about it support him and help here and there.

But just run in his business every time and rewrite his resume while he is chilling himself and dont want, is cute but not helpful.

And you dont have to lie. Just there are different ways of saying things and also not all information is needed in your resume.And you can also generalize things.

And keep it short. Company's get so many resumes to read.

Maybe your brother is like this because you and your parents are enabling him.

Dry bed, warm lunch, no rent to pay, mom washing his clothes, sister writing his resume. and so on.

If he just lazy , not motivated then he need to be given tough love so he can learn.

But If he have issues, what about get him the right help first instead of a new job again?

A therapist or him having a conversation with his doctor. And see why he cant keep a job.

Once taking care of the issues the job one will be take care of automatically.

Because maybe he got real medical issues that dont allow him to work in a normal environment. And in those cases lying about your health will only make you depressed because you get task to do that you can handle and so on.

But let him get to the doctor and speaks his mind and feelings with you guys also if he feels free to do so, so one can know what is going on if the issues is more serious then just being lazy.

Get to the core of the issues and take care of them. And as family support him true the process. Instead of baby him in it and also without no help or anything.

Was he able to keep a job for years before?

In that case maybe something happen at his last job, which give him fear to continue

or fear for failure.

But only him can tell what going on inside his mind etc.