A horrible car wreck on my way home from school :(

Mirandaaa

Mirandaaa

How will I ever get over seeing this? How will I stop the nightmares from coming? My mom was late picking me up today, and she said the reason was there was a terrible car wreck on her way to pick me up and it stopped up traffic on the highway. She didn't see it happen, it was already there when she came up on it. When we got there, the one car was mangled completely, another one was torn completely up and turned over, and there was another car in the ditch. There were highway patrols, ambulances, and cops and people were standing around. I didn't see anybody that was hurt, but it was so horrible. Then I was mad at my mom like why did she have to go back through there and let me see it? She said it was because there was road work on the other road and there wasn't any other quicker way to get home. I didn't say anything to her the rest of the way home, and she said she was sorry I had to see it. But I was upset all day today, and I'm still really upset. I asked my mom if she thought anyone was killed and she said she didn't see how anyone could live through that. This is the first time I've ever seen anything so horrible in my life. I don't think I'll get over it for a long time.

whichwayisup

I assume she knows you're sensitive to this kind of stuff, so maybe she should have told you the route she was going to take home and then tell you to cover your eyes so you wouldn't see it.

It is traumatic to see an accident even if it's the aftermath of one, especially since you're very young and not exposed to the awful stuff that can happen.

When you go to bed, listen to music or watch tv to help your mind not drift there.

• Like 2

Mirandaa, thru out your life, you will see atrocities. They are reminders that life is precious. Its sorrowfull to the families and the friends for sure.

While you did not see the human side of this, your mind is conjuring up the end results. I would advise that you speak with your family or friends in a way that explains the indirect impact it left you with.

Can you find solice that the ambulance staff, the police and even fellow man were there to assist? Sometimes it helps to validate that "we" as humans are there even in the horrendous of tragedies.....

• Like 1
  • Author
Mirandaaa

I don't think it was anyone we know .I'm surprised I didn't have a nightmare. I had trouble falling asleep. All kinds of things ran through my mind. It made me think about a lot of things. I don't want my parents on that road anymore. I can't imagine being crushed to death. It looked like a semi hit it. My mom said we should pray for the families who got hit with that news yesterday. I still hold out hope that nobody was killed. At least if anyone is still alive there's still a chance they could make it.

• Author
Mirandaaa

I am happy to say it wasn't anyone I know and nobody was killed. One person is in critical condition and the two women in the other car were treated and then released. A girl in my class said she knows the man who is in critical condition. His daughter is two years younger than us and he has a son who is 16. They don't go to our school, but it's still so sad. I really don't know how from looking at that one car how anyone could have survived. I can't see how they weren't killed immediately or smashed dead. But they are alive (at least from the last news I heard). So with that news I feel better about the whole thing. I won't ever forget it but it's just not haunting me as much now. Now I just hope that no animals were in their cars. Lots of people have dogs in their cars. :( Thanks everyone for all your kind words.

• Author

I found out that the man died. :( At least he wasn't instantly killed. It makes me feel a little better that at least he had a little bit of time before he died.

Poppyolive

Bless your Lil heart. I think, like me, you're a highly sensitive person. Things like this effect Me for a long time, so, I can empathise with you. Give all of your feelings and emotions time to pass through you and take care of yourself while doing so. I'm sorry to hear the man died. Seeing things like this is heartbreaking. I admire and completely respect the first responders. What a tough job.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry you had to see that.

Sweetie, death is part of life, as morbid as that is to say. There will be times that you will be exposed to things out of your control. The important thing is that you tell yourself this and live by it.

When I worked at a hotel once upon a time (Gosh I feel old :laugh: ) we had this really quiet yet friendly guy that lived at our hotel. We never had any issues from him and he would always make casual conversation with us during long boring night shifts. One day on my way up to work, I looked in the parking lot and observed what looked like a crash test doll. As I got closer and saw the yellow tarp I realized it was that guest who's name I will keep confidential. It DEVISTATED me, he jumped from the 3rd floor. I felt like you did...what got me through was that I realized there was nothing I could have done and it was a part of life. I woke up crying, and angry... When we had to clean his room I never assigned anyone his room during my shift.

Now I'm much stronger and I work in an insurance auction. I have to look at wrecked cars daily, eventually you become numb. Not in a bad way, but in a way that you realize it's just life...And that person is in a better place.

• Author
Bless your Lil heart. I think, like me, you're a highly sensitive person. Things like this effect Me for a long time, so, I can empathise with you. Give all of your feelings and emotions time to pass through you and take care of yourself while doing so. I'm sorry to hear the man died. Seeing things like this is heartbreaking. I admire and completely respect the first responders. What a tough job.

Yeah, I feel sorry for the family though. I think, because I am so sensitive, that's the reason I blow up at my parents a lot. It's not an excuse, it's just the way it is.

• Author
I'm so sorry you had to see that.

Sweetie, death is part of life, as morbid as that is to say. There will be times that you will be exposed to things out of your control. The important thing is that you tell yourself this and live by it.

When I worked at a hotel once upon a time (Gosh I feel old :laugh: ) we had this really quiet yet friendly guy that lived at our hotel. We never had any issues from him and he would always make casual conversation with us during long boring night shifts. One day on my way up to work, I looked in the parking lot and observed what looked like a crash test doll. As I got closer and saw the yellow tarp I realized it was that guest who's name I will keep confidential. It DEVISTATED me, he jumped from the 3rd floor. I felt like you did...what got me through was that I realized there was nothing I could have done and it was a part of life. I woke up crying, and angry... When we had to clean his room I never assigned anyone his room during my shift.

Now I'm much stronger and I work in an insurance auction. I have to look at wrecked cars daily, eventually you become numb. Not in a bad way, but in a way that you realize it's just life...And that person is in a better place.

What I saw wasn't nearly as bad as what you saw. I didn't know the people, but that was your friend. Wow, I'm sorry for the poor man and you, but you are right. I won't just say he's in a better place because I believe in heaven, so that's where he is at. Because there's a scripture I have bookmarked in the bible that's one of my favorites. It helped me when my dog Mocha died, because I was 7 years old and I couldn't get over it for weeks. But I really think it applies to people who are suicidal. Its says, "The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit."

• Author

I still get sad about Mocha, BTW. Just because it was a long time ago doesn't mean you forget them.

I still get sad about Mocha, BTW. Just because it was a long time ago doesn't mean you forget them.

I am glad you shared this with the posters. The loss doesn't erase the memories, and that can be the comfort.

What are some of your moments that you had with Mocha?

• Author

Mocha was another dog that my dad brought home to me when he was teaching at the university, that one of his friends gave to him. He was a chocolate Schnauzer. What happened to him was, me and my parents were staying for one week with my dad's sister who was getting married. And it was an apartment by a busy road. I took Mocha outside so he could pee, and he got loose from me and ran in the street and got hit. That was the worse nightmare of my life.

Some of my memories I have.....I still have his toys, and one of them is a ball. I would put all of his toys in the middle of the floor and I would say, "Go get your ball Mocha!" And he would run and get the ball. And he would do the same thing for all of his toys because he knew them all by name. Memories are supposed to be comforting, but the memories make me sad because he's gone.

Memories can validate too. That you shared moments. Special ones at that!

There are more colors to a rainbow then just blue...

• Like 1
he jumped from the 3rd floor.

When I worked for a dot-com, a woman we worked with found out she had terminal cancer and she decided to jump from the 10th floor....

I'm sure those who saw the people falling from the buildings on 9/11 experienced a similar - if not more devastating - images.

Suffice to say that what is depicted in the films is far from accurate and is something I hope to never have to see again.