for Ungreatful, Popularity-seems-to-have-gotten-to-her-head Sister?

ShyKitty5

I wanted to ask for some advice on what to do about my bratty sister because my parents aren't doing much about her. I'm sorry this will probably turn out to be a rant, but I cant take it anymore. :mad:

She is so ungreatful, moody (grouchy and rude most of the time), always wants things her way, , and thinks she has to buy stuff all the time. And not just buying anything, she'll want to buy expensive name brand stuff, otherwise she'll basically throw a tantrum.

Now, she's 13 going on 14 in a couple months, I'm 15 almost 16. My parents always complain about her attitude, but they don't do much except for threatening to take stuff away, but theyll never follow through on it. Whenever she can't do something right the first time (for example playing a sport), she gets upset and stops participating. She doesn't seem to remember her hate for these things and says she's going to do them again the next year, just to go through her stupid negativity again.

Her habit of wanting to buy stuff all the time and getting anything she sees and wants definately comes from my dad, so he's her favorite parent since he lets her get away with so much. They impulse buy all the time. An example being that she and my dad bought a shirt made for girls who are or have been on color guard (the flags for marching band), but she hasn't even made the team, nevertheless even tried out yet. She doesnt even have a good chance because shell give up if she gets something wrong.

My sister also just sits up in her room on her phone any time she's not away from home. We try to get her to join us downstairs to watch a movie or play a game, but she always comes up with an excuse to stay up there on her phone such as "I'm doing a project for school" or "Im cleaning my room."

She never knows when to be quiet. Whenever my parents scold her for something, she will stomp away mumbling (sometimes even saying cuss words if you listen close enough). I remeber one time she was mad at my mom for taking a picture of her while she was practicing with her baseballs in the yard. They were arguing and my mom said "Glad I gave birth to you," in a sarcastic tone and I heard my sister say "It's your fault," when she stomped up the stairs. I was thinking, 'Thats so rude. How could someone say something so ungreatdul like that to your mother. Especially if it was just over her taking a picture or two?'

So, yea. That's not all that I could say about her, but it's as much as Ill put because I dont want to write a freakin' novel about it. Thanks if I can get any advice, and thanks for reading this even if you don't give advice. I apologize for the time you took out of your day to read and/or help me with this.:o

I take it that healthy communication is not well excercised in the household?

Parents to teens do have some challenges, and your sibling seems to be taking it up a notch.

It's effortless for a teen to disrespect, even some adults on here do it when speaking of their elders. Some folks just continue this attitude into adulthood.

I take it you are not close with your sibling? Or share aspirations?

I feel for you living under a condition where the parents remain lenient to one.

They are doing her no favors in the long run. She'll be here soon enough saying how her parents always gave into her and now she has no healthy boundaries.

May I suggest a day out with this sister ... Let her open up about her goals... Then explain how her attitude and behavior come off.

Here's wishing you a world of patience, and some ear plugs...

• Author

Oh yea, thought I'd also mention this (whether anyone sees it or not). My sister has lied to her "friends" about us so many times before. She's said that she had a brother (we dont), she's told people she broke a bone (never has), and she told a bunch of her friends that we (my parents and I) abused her. She blamed bruises from playing baseball and scratches that she did herself on us and said we did that for no reason. She's said that my parents yell at her for no reason (and they never do that), she has even told one of her friend's parents that we abused her, but thank goodness he only half believed her. My mom took my sister's phone away for a few days for lying to people, and had to message the parent to tell him that we have never abused her in anyway.

She's really sick, in my opinion, to say stuff like that. Say stuff like that that could get us thrown in jail or have her sent away.

• Author
I take it that healthy communication is not well excercised in the household?

Parents to teens do have some challenges, and your sibling seems to be taking it up a notch.

It's effortless for a teen to disrespect, even some adults on here do it when speaking of their elders. Some folks just continue this attitude into adulthood.

I take it you are not close with your sibling? Or share aspirations?

I feel for you living under a condition where the parents remain lenient to one.

They are doing her no favors in the long run. She'll be here soon enough saying how her parents always gave into her and now she has no healthy boundaries.

May I suggest a day out with this sister ... Let her open up about her goals... Then explain how her attitude and behavior come off.

Here's wishing you a world of patience, and some ear plugs...

Thank you for that, that sounds like a good idea.

And no, we have hardly anything in common, she even likes to go as far to the point that if I like something, she'll say she absolutely hates it. Guess that's just how siblings would be though.

But thank you, again :)

• 2 weeks later...
Disillusioned_2011

God that's awful. The lying especially - if a teacher overhears that they might even inform the authorities. Jesus. Somebody needs to have a talk with her. Maybe somebody who's part of your extended family? Like an aunt? Since she doesn't seem to have any respect for her immediate family, and I'm sure she won't listen to you guys. Your dad needs to stop indulging her. The constant shopping teaches her nothing. It almost sounds like your parents are afraid of her.

It sounds like there are no boundaries set in your family, it's completely your parents' fault. They clearly neglect their parental duties, sounds to me like they treat you and your sister (or at least your sister) as a friend or peer rather than a child.

No wonder your sister doesn't know how to behave, your parents are neglecting their job.