Take Pictures

BlueIris

My dad died a few months ago. He and my mom had been together 66 years, married 63. Since his death I’ve been spending lots of time with her, which has been great. Our relationship has changed in an unexpected and positive way since his death and we’re both very happy about it. It’s wonderful.

Anyway… yesterday we were looking at pictures and there are almost none of us together- like maybe 10-15 over the course of 55 years. Of course, that’s because either she or I was taking pictures. No one else did, so there aren’t many of the two of us. It’s kind of sad.

So for people who still have your parents around, I just want to say- have people take pictures of you with your parents, both of them! Even if there’s no special occasion, do it. They’ll be precious to you one day. :love:

• Like 2

Congrats to your parents for their long marriage and my condolences regarding the loss of your father.

Regarding pictures, I found, since my mom was a widow for some 25 years before she passed, I did a lot of stuff on sticks, either still or video. Digital cameras made it easier once they came out but a remote shutter release or self-timer worked fine too.

Here's a sample from the late 1980's using a remote timer with a SLR on sticks. What was interesting, looking back, even though mom modeled when she was young, mostly print stuff, she didn't like being photographed and few pictures exist. I did get some good videos when we were traveling though.

Since your mom is still around, plenty of opportunities to take those 'tacky tourist photos' (got that from a fellow safari trekker in Africa) to keep for the memories and posterity.

• Like 2
  • Author

Absolutely will!

(oooh! Nice orchard! is that a dwarf apple? peach?

ETA: and I just realized that I noticed the orchard. So is it any wonder my mom and I have almost no pictures together?!? She'd notice the orchard too. lol)

I'll get a stick.

Edited by BlueIris

Tree in foreground is cherry, a Stella if memory serves. Tree by ladder is a Elberta peach. The trees went wild after mom got dementia and I started doing the caregiving thing. TBH, the orchard and vineyard were her deals. She knew that farming stuff like breathing. My most remembered picture, one I don't post publicly, is one I took of her and me at the SNF a couple days before she died. It was very peaceful. I was very lucky to have good parents who were married for life, like your parents were. Pictures are great ways to remember. Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 1