A new kitten!!

Mirandaaa

My dad brought home a tiny kitten today and gave him to me. He's a very pale yellow kitten and I love him so much. I don't know what to him! I was so excited when my dad came home, I knew he had something in his coat when he smiled at me and pulled out this kitten. I don't think he is more than three weeks old! :) He said that he found the kitten walking around in the road on his way home and it almost got hit by a bunch of cars, but he saved it! He had to coach it to come to him and he said that he was afraid it would run back out into traffic.

He's letting me stay home from school tomorrow to play with it after I begged him to let me. Also I don't really know if it's a boy or girl kitten yet. My mom thinks it's a boy. My mom loves the kitten but I think my dad loves it more. He held it and played with it and it was so funny. The kitten kept getting in my dad's face and sucking on his lip and his cheek. My dad was cracking up.

The only thing is the kitten wants to sleep with me curled up under my neck and I can't sleep with it like that. It's too cute!

• Like 6

Is it old enough to eat and drink by itself?

As he found it, he will have no idea how old it is and it may not be weaned.

Make sure it is eating and drinking enough to survive.

• Like 4

Have the little one checked over by a vet, just to make sure it's in good health, not malnourished etc.

They will also be able to tell you if it's a boy or a girl kitten.

I'm jealous, kittens are awesome!

• Like 7

Congrats! I love kitties! That is awesome your dad saved the kitty :) I would take it to the vet asap, you may need to give it kitten milk and whatnot, if it was trying to suck your dads lips, it's looking for its mama's nipple most likely! it might like a bottle. Has it gone to the bathroom yet? if it's very young you may have to help it go.

• Like 2
  • Author

My mom said he is about 5 wks old. He ravenously ate some wet food yesterday. She fed him a bottle today with some kitten formula. He couldn't even hold still he was sucking it so hard. I think maybe he is too old for a bottle. And he is already using his litterbox. We have a 16 year old calico named Annabelle that is my dad's cat he had when him and my mom got married. My parents won't allow her to be outside by herself because even though we don't live in the city, there could be coyotes and owls. So yeah I have to keep him in the house. My parents said I can't take him outside unless I hold onto him and not put him down. :)

• Like 3

He's a lucky kitty to have found a nice home where he'll be loved and have a good life.

Nice work Dad.

• Like 1
  • Author
He's a lucky kitty to have found a nice home where he'll be loved and have a good life.

Nice work Dad.

Yeah :) I was with my dad one time and we saw someone just hit a cat in the road, and then they didn't even stop. My dad was so upset. He pulled over and got the cat out of the road but it was already dead. I was crying and I didn't want to leave it there, so my dad took it home and buried it in our garden.

• Like 2
Yeah :) I was with my dad one time and we saw someone just hit a cat in the road, and then they didn't even stop. My dad was so upset. He pulled over and got the cat out of the road but it was already dead. I was crying and I didn't want to leave it there, so my dad took it home and buried it in our garden.

I like your dad, he is a very nice man. :)

• Like 6
seekingpeaceinlove

Your dad sounds like such a great person. Congrats on your little fur baby!

• Like 4

Awwww! :D:

First off I love your Dad for caring so much. He sounds like a lovely man!

How lucky for you to have a little fur baby!!! )

I am soooo jealous!

OK, sorry, the important stuff...

Please take him (I'll call him a im as your Mum thinks he is) to a vet for a check over as soon as you can. This is crucial!!!

Also, if the little man wolfed their food down then from now feed often but in very small amounts. Wolfing their food down can cause them harm if they haven't had food in a while and we don't want to hear that the little one gets poorly.

Check every inch of his body in case there are any ticks - they are nasty little bugs and will feel a bit like a blister. These things suck on blood and humans can easily catch them too. If you find any then leave it to the vet to get rid of.

Also check through all his fur to look for flea dirt. It will look like specs of black dust and will be near the skin. Again, they feed on blood and one so small doesn't have that much blood to lose so he could get very sick if left untreated.

For a wee one of this age though it's a vet's job as any flea treatment will be too strong for one so tiny.

The little bub cuddles into your neck as he needs warmth at night - but if you move him to where you are comfy he will learn.

Just be very careful as he is so small that if you turn over in the night you might squash him - me - I move a lot in the night so I would learn to live with him cuddling into my neck as it's a pretty safe place for him.

Yes I am a sucker for little ones! Lol!

Lastly, you lucky thing and he got lucky too!

Please give him a rub under his chin from me. :)

He is attached to you and clearly loves you so when he does go to the vet he will need you for support - vets are scary so you gotta be there for him!

• Like 2

The little bub cuddles into your neck as he needs warmth at night - but if you move him to where you are comfy he will learn.

I agree, the little baby needs warmth, normally at 3 weeks old he/she would still be getting it from its mum.

You can always use a hot water bottle to keep the kitten warm, just make sure to not use boiling hot water, and to wrap the hot water bottle in a towel or a blanket.

P.S. Miranda, your Dad sounds like he's a total gem!

Edited by SoulCat
  • Like 3
  • Author

The vet said it was a boy and he got medicine. He got a distemper shot because they said it was the only kind of shot they could give him being so young. Still don't know what to call him. My parents won't leave him alone. I think he loves my dad more than he loves me because my dad saved him.

• 3 weeks later...

Since he is so young you could leash train him with a harness as he gets a bit bigger and then he can go on walks!