Parents are ruining my life and I'm struggling to move out on my own

HannahSenpi

I'm 19 years old. I moved back in with my parents a couple months ago because I couldn't afford to keep living on my own. I had my own place for about three months before things fell apart and I moved back in. I'm trying to move back out as soon as possible with a friend because of their supid rules. I think they're just mad I'm back in the house now.

So basically I'm a HUGE fan of anime but my parents are against it and always thought it was evil, stupid, immature, whatever. I'm not allowed to watch anime or have anything anime related in the house and I've been having to sneak around. My parents check the internet history so I have to go on my phone to watch it on my phones 4g data so it doesn't show up in the wifi history. I have to hide all of my anime related toys, figure, video games, drawings, posters, cards etc. My mom always does regular searches around my room to make sure there's nothing anime related in it. The only place they don't search is my car and that's where I keep a lot of my anime related things. The rest that doesn't fit is at my friends house until I can move out. I hate this so much. Whenever they do find the smallest thing or catch me watching it on my phone I get this long lecture about how I'm disrespecting them and acting childish by sneaking around. Sneaking around maybe childish but what other choice do I have? I can't be myself at home. They have destroyed my property over this and I called the cops on them but the cops didn't do much to help. They said I just need to move out so I did before I was ready and now I'm right back in this hell hole. I guess I'm here looking for some advice. Or maybe some more creative ways for me to enjoy anime without my parents hovering over me.

So, this seems to be a matter of anime vs sleeping under the freeway, is that it? Yes, your parents sound disrespectful and controlling but, the truth is, while you're at their mercy, you're really out of choices. Learn to know when you have leverage and when you don't. In this situation, you have no leverage.

Until you're able to support yourself and move out, lay off of the things that piss off your parents. I really doubt you'll die without anime. Be wise enough to know when you're just making your life difficult.

As much as I hate anime, I have to completely disagree with the above.

Her parents checking her wifi, room, internet history for a collection of cartoons? What excuse is there for that! Her parents are off the grid crazy, and are ignoring the fact that most kids her age are getting drunk and high, even more so when they live alone: is that what they want, to push their daughter out into living alone?

Unless your parents are acting this way to purposely push you out.