menstrual cleaning disposal

a0009

i have been living with my aunt and her 15yr old daughter for a year now in their house. Few months ago i noticed some dried blood stains on the bathroom sink and i thought it was a cut, no big deal. and the following day i saw paper towels with some dried blood in the trashbin and grossed me, I almost threw up. now every month i see paper towels with dried blood in the trash bin, the trash bin does not have a lid. my problem is how to bring the issue to stop because am grossed up by it. I strongly suspect its my aunt, they are my relatives and thats why its gross and idk how to bring the issue, its also her house and I got lots of respect to her and embarrasing at her age not to dispose correctly.

It's more likely to be your 15-year-old cousin.

Buy a bin for the bathroom with a lid on it.

Sorted.

• Like 7

She should really wrap them up. Even in toilet paper.

It is a bit gross. At 15 I wouldn't have wanted anyone to see that, not even my mother.

But yes buy a new bin with a lid too.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

It sounds like someone just hasn't been taught how to dispose of things. If it's your cousin, then her mum should have taught her. It's an awkward situation for you. You could mention it tactfully somehow, like 'What colour disposal bin would you like because it looks like we need one here?'

• Like 1

I remember at age 15 one of my friends didn't dispose of her pads properly and my mother approached me asking me to please ask my friend to wrap them up.

I would say something to your aunt directly. That's just my style. I don't know if she is the type of person to react well to that, so maybe just buy a bin with a lid like the other posters have suggested.

Honestly, if you are living with your aunt in her house and not paying rent, then she is doing you a huge favour (letting her nephew live with her for a year!) and I wouldn't really say anything. It's their house and if they are comfortable with what they are doing now, I don't think it's your place to ask them to change for you when they are doing you a favour by letting you stay with them to start with. If on the other hand they were living with you in YOUR house, then it wouldn't be amiss for you to ask them nicely to wrap it up.

However it would be fine for you to buy them a nice bin with a lid as others have suggested.

• Like 3

This is indicative of our punk male mentality...none of your business and don't ask. What is wrong with young males today? This is not your space.

G

• Like 7

Just buy a new garbage can for the bathroom, one with a lid. Problem solved. Don't discuss it, just do it and if anybody asks say 'hey, you asked but I got sick of seeing sanitory napkins in the open..'

• Like 3
Honestly, if you are living with your aunt in her house and not paying rent, then she is doing you a huge favour (letting her nephew live with her for a year!) and I wouldn't really say anything. It's their house and if they are comfortable with what they are doing now, I don't think it's your place to ask them to change for you when they are doing you a favour by letting you stay with them to start with. If on the other hand they were living with you in YOUR house, then it wouldn't be amiss for you to ask them nicely to wrap it up.

However it would be fine for you to buy them a nice bin with a lid as others have suggested.

What about guests? Invite people for dinner and they use the bathroom and see used sanitary napkins in an open bin?

Sorry it's just disgusting! Why should anyone have to be told?

I would by a bathroom trash can with a lid and if they ask say why.

Edited by Amelie1980
What about guests? Invite people for dinner and they use the bathroom and see used sanitary napkins in an open bin?

Sorry it's just disgusting! Why should anyone have to be told?

I would by a bathroom trash can with a lid and if they ask say why.

When someone is living with you for a year, they are not a 'guest' anymore. And anyhow even guests should not be commenting on it IMO.

I'm in agreement with the suggestion of buying a bin with a lid, though, and said as much.

• Like 2

Roommate issues ....not unlike leaving the toilet seat up/down ultimately. As a boarder you have to just suck it up. If it's unacceptable to you, your option to deal is to leave.

Making demands of someone you're essentially accepting charity from (if it's indeed rent-free) is very bad form, and insulting them in the process about their supposed lack of sensitivity or propriety is even worse. :/

• Like 5

Beyond the point regarding disposal, I'm more concerned that they are referred to as paper towels. I do hope that this is a misspeak on OP's part, and that the women of the house can afford proper sanitary protection. :eek:

If one has to stuff her panties with paper towels, there's a bigger issue than disposal. But if they're being used for 'fortification', I hope they're Bounty and not some generic crap.

• Like 3
Beyond the point regarding disposal, I'm more concerned that they are referred to as paper towels. I do hope that this is a misspeak on OP's part, and that the women of the house can afford proper sanitary protection. :eek:

If one has to stuff her panties with paper towels, there's a bigger issue than disposal. But if they're being used for 'fortification', I hope they're Bounty and not some generic crap.

I was wondering the same.

Maybe it's cultural, but I don't even have paper towels in the bathroom. Toilet paper can be used for protection in a pinch, but I'd hope that the women in the house would have something other than paper products to take care of their needs.

Maybe the OP could offer to pay some rent so they can afford proper products.

• Like 3

Wow, good catch. :eek: You're right, I really hope the OP is either confused about what pads look like, or that those ladies can afford pads/tampons and just choose not to. If they literally cannot afford pads then they have way bigger problems in their lives than just an unsightly bin...

if she is using toilet tissue as pads that can be flushed. weird

Paper towels cannot be flushed in the toilet, they will clog it up. Toilet paper can, but using toilet paper as pads is incredibly inefficient- way too little absorbency. Paper towels are pretty bad too but they're still better than toilet paper...

Edited by Elswyth
  • Like 2
FeelingFireworks

I'm a bit surprised at the responses! I absolutely do think you should address it. It's unhygienic and unfeminine. Plus they are your family, not strangers. You should feel able to be caring yet honest with each other. If family can't be that way with each other, then who can you be that way with??? It's not like they are your boss or a stranger. I also think that if his was a woman living with men who were leaving the toilet seat up and urine stains everywhere, the reaction would've been much different.

Anyway OP, Bring it up discretely with the aunt - it could be her, if not, she can talk to her daughter. Explain what you observe and ways you've thought about helping in a caring way, eg:

"Auntie, This is a sensitive subject but I notice that there is blood in the bathroom sink and open bin which occurs monthly and isn't cleaned up. I'm also worried with how it looks to others. I'm more than happy to help by putting a lidded bin in there but feel limited in what else to do or say to limit its exposure. What do you think, and would you be able to help with this?"

I think any reasonable person might feel a little initial embarrassment but would appreciate a gentle approach. Good luck :)

You could wait until they are together and run to them and ask "Did someone cut themself? I saw the bloody paper towels in the trash can." Look confused and watch their reaction. The 15 year old will be so embarrassed and probably won't let it happen again,

• Like 1
Seen millions of stained pads and tampons in bathroom garbage.

Does it really bother anyone? :confused:

I never have. I wrap mine in toilet paper and have a trash can with a lid. Most people I know do the same.

• Like 1
GorillaTheater

Much ado about nothing. I have a wife and four daughters, and I'm the guy usually gathering and taking care of the trash. Yes, used pads are generally wrapped up in something, but if I see some blood I'm not very likely to freak out about it.

Not nearly as gross as the baggies of dog poop from the back yard.

• Like 6
I never have. I wrap mine in toilet paper and have a trash can with a lid. Most people I know do the same.

Yeah, but I throw stuff away too and things shift/move in there.

I see some blood nearly every time.

And exactly what Gorilla Theater said.

When you empty the little bathroom garbage into the kitchen one to take out, it's nothing but cotton balls, makeup remover pads, hair from brushes, q tips and used pads/tampons. :lmao:

And all that stuff goes everywhere as you empty it.

I've even had to peel them off the bottom of the garbage can when the bag fell or no bag was in place.

As men, we should be man enough to handle messy jobs, imo. :)

Wost I've ever had is elbow deep in other people's sewage when one of the heads broke (guest head) in my last boat. That's literally the grossest domestic task...ever.

• Like 4

As a menstruating woman, I don't think that menstrual blood or pads or tampons are a big deal, of course, because whatever, humanity.

But the OP's post has some weird elements, as others have noted. Bloody paper towels? Blood stains on the bathroom sink?

That's a little strange. I don't know whether the OP is just a young guy who doesn't know the right words for pads (and the sink blood is unrelated), or whether the 15-year-old girl isn't getting the right instruction for how to manage her menstrual cycle.

• Like 4
GunslingerRoland

Are you sure it's period blood? I know during these cold dry months I get a lot of nose bleeds. That would make more sense for blood on paper towels and in the sink.

• Like 2
I also think that if his was a woman living with men who were leaving the toilet seat up and urine stains everywhere, the reaction would've been much different.

No, not really. I have no issue with men leaving the toilet seat up.

Urine stains everywhere would be analogous to blood stains everywhere, which isn't the case here. We're not talking about them leaving blood all over the floor and walls :confused:, we're literally talking about ONE case of blood at the side of the sink and bloody (paper towels? pads?) inside the garbage bin. Given that it appeared all of a sudden after a year, chances are the daughter just got her period and isn't experienced in how to deal with it.

A better analogue than the one you gave, would be a woman living with her aunt/uncle who have a 15 yo son, and saw Kleenex with white stains inside the bathroom garbage bin. And no, I don't think she should say anything about that either...

• Like 1