Estranged Family Breaks Physical Boundaries

makeithappen

makeithappen

Oh dear! My family will never let go of me!

So after replying to my father in an email that I did not want any member of my family to contact me again and refusing to let him and mum pay me a visit and tell them where I live, he invited himself to MY university the next day after our email conversation, along with a brother of mine asking where I was. My university refused to disclose any information about my whereabouts, for data protection, and sent me an email informing me of this incident.

I got really scared about this. I feel like they will not leave me alone. I feel unsafe around my family. They trigger so many painful memories in me, and some members are violent (my parents have occasionally been physical violent, but it's rarer than my siblings' violence towards me). I was sent an email by my father a few days later apologising for coming into my university like this and saying that all he wanted was apologise to me. This is nonsense because the night before he came, he had dismissed my claims of abuse via email and said that I should calm down and that they did not do anything to me.

I was shaking at this incident because they never tried to break my physical boundaries since our estrangement.

What else should I expect of them and how to deal with them?

Many thanks

Expect everything.

Get a restraining order.

Thank the University for not divulging any information, and ask them to continue this behaviour.

It's also worth putting a notice up in Uni, maybe in club or social rooms, to that effect. That students should remain guarded about supplying personal information regarding other students to those purporting to be relatives, friends or even just acquaintances.

Advise your closest circle of friends of the incident, and enlist them to protect you in the same way.

Campus Security must know and, if it's a smaller town, the town police as well. Give them pictures of your family members if you have them.