I woke up to the most surprising and annoying text from a family member

smg15

I got this random text from a cousin

"would you cosign for something for a family member if they needed you for something they wanted?

First of all let me just say that I don't know how the hell I gave off the impression I am situated to cosign for someone but I must be a good actor. I lost my job 5 times since 2009, and maxed out on two credit cards with very little money in the bank.

So why the hell would I come to mind? I told her in a nice way that I just started working in Jan of 2014 and in no position to cosign anything because I am in recovery mode. I am paying off two cards combined with taking a pay cut and making $5000 less than my last job. So I told her I can't afford to take anymore financial hits right now.

I don't know if I should be mad or flattered lol

evanescentworld

I would have texted back "What's in it for me?"

• Author
I would have texted back "What's in it for me?"

But don't you have to be financially stable with good credit to cosign for someone?

you are under no obligation to justify the decline. kindly say to them , glad you reached out, my plate is full. let me know how it goes! bye!

• Like 1
  • Author
you are under no obligation to justify the de line. kindly say to them , glad you reached out, my plate is full. let me know how it goes! bye!

Im just stunned that someone who was unemployed the whole year of 2014 and just starting working 2 weeks ago is trying to UPGRADE???????????????????????????

evanescentworld
But don't you have to be financially stable with good credit to cosign for someone?

Im just stunned that someone who was unemployed the whole year of 2014 and just starting working 2 weeks ago is trying to UPGRADE???????????????????????????

smg15 I think you need a humour implant... both responses from Tayla and I had a modicum of a laugh - and you responded far too seriously for a guy of your age.

You really need to get out more, let your backbone slip, and chill...

• Author

One thing this text has done is for me to not express my happiness about my financial situation. Any good financial news I get I will not put it on social media or talk about it around the family. Just say it to my close friend and that's it.

How did I give off the impression that I was......BIG TIME?

Wow sm15, that family member must really be desperate. I think you should be flattered that they asked you, and then insulted at the same time. Loans are what banks are for, not family or friends. Lending money to someone you know rarely if ever turns out well. Just watch Judge Judy or Jerry Springer to see what I mean.

Don't lend this person a dime, especially since you are trying to get financially stable yourself.

You could always text something back lighthearted but with a clear message that no, you won't lend the money, "sorry this bank is closed permanently for business."

evanescentworld

Who cares...? You said no.

That's an end to it.

Don't worry about the impression people get.

• Like 1
seekingpeaceinlove

Don't see why the text would annoy you to the extent it did. They asked you a question, you said no. End of story.

• Author
Wow sm15, that family member must really be desperate. I think you should be flattered that they asked you, and then insulted at the same time. Loans are what banks are for, not family or friends. Lending money to someone you know rarely if ever turns out well. Just watch Judge Judy or Jerry Springer to see what I mean.

Don't lend this person a dime, especially since you are trying to get financially stable yourself.

You could always text something back lighthearted but with a clear message that no, you won't lend the money, "sorry this bank is closed permanently for business."

she was told all that and we had a funny exchange over text that I am in no position to cosign anything

• Like 1
  • Author
Don't see why the text would annoy you to the extent it did. They asked you a question, you said no. End of story.

It annoyed me because she knows I am not making BIG TIME money, not driving, and had to downgrade to a studio apt so to think I was cosign material was just annoying.

And who tries to make a upgrade after starting a job 2 weeks ago?

• Like 1
Lernaean_Hydra

I don't know if I should be mad or flattered lol

Neither. Just say no and move on.

You really seem to overreact to a lot of things in your life and I know for a fact I'm not the first person to say this. Lighten up a bit perhaps?

It annoyed me because she knows I am not making BIG TIME money, not driving, and had to downgrade to a studio apt so to think I was cosign material was just annoying.

And who tries to make a upgrade after starting a job 2 weeks ago?

It's really not that big of a deal. People ask for unreasonable favors all the time, sometimes even anticipating being told no but still wanting to 'try their luck' anyway. Seriously. You probably weren't even the only person she asked.

• Like 3

sm15 didn't overreact. It's insulting to be asked for a loan just after you've started a new job. So smg15's reaction was a completely normal one.

Glad you were able to "Just say no!" (like Nancy Reagan suggested to kids in the 1980s!) and leave things in good standing with your cousin. Shows that you DO have a sense of humor and yes, you were right to feel annoyed. That's a pretty bold question to just ask a family member, "hey, lend me some money?"

evanescentworld

No, you're right. he didn't over-react.

But no, I disagree, he honestly has no sense of humour.

He takes things far too seriously, has a tendency to over-analyse, and finds it hard to know when enough is enough.

We're all trying to help him loosen up a little here....

• Like 1
  • Author
Neither. Just say no and move on.

You really seem to overreact to a lot of things in your life and I know for a fact I'm not the first person to say this. Lighten up a bit perhaps?

It's really not that big of a deal. People ask for unreasonable favors all the time, sometimes even anticipating being told no but still wanting to 'try their luck' anyway. Seriously. You probably weren't even the only person she asked.

I would think a text about cosigning is a good enough reason to overreact lol

• Like 1

Well I don't think telling someone they're not funny helps them to loosen up. Just sayin' :)

Anyway, glad it worked out smg15 and that the situation got resolved.

evanescentworld

When would you have ever shown her your signature for her to be able to do that?!

And I think in order to countersign something like that, you have to do it in an official's presence....

• Like 1
I would think a text about cosigning is a good enough reason to overreact lol

You know, your situation reminds me of that scene in the funny movie Couples Retreat where Vince Vaughn's character Dave gets a call from his friend Shane, who wants him to co-sign a loan for a brand new motorcycle so he can impress his 20-something girlfriend Trudy. Never lend money to someone who can't repay you.

• Author
Well I don't think telling someone they're not funny helps them to loosen up. Just sayin' :)

Anyway, glad it worked out smg15 and that the situation got resolved.

The only way she could use me as a cosigner is if she forged my signature right?

evanescentworld

She can't do that, you'd have to sign it in the presence of an official.

The only way she could use me as a cosigner is if she forged my signature right?

Nope. She can't forge your signature. You have to co-sign along with her in front of the loan officer of a bank, unless you send your cousin to see Jim Carey whose character is a loan officer in the movie "Yes Man." Ha! That's the only way she'll get a loan!