Parents are upset that I move frequently and won't "settle" anywhere

Intrepidcaribou

Intrepidcaribou

I rarely live in an apartment for more than a year or a city for more than 2. I like the challenge of living in different places. My parents are upset because I won't settle down and commit to one place.

I will never marry (I'm 28, never had a boyfriend, never been kissed etc.) so I can go where I want when I want. If there's an interesting career opportunity in Belgium or Norway or Australia or Nunavut, I will move there. I love adventure and my career is very, very important to me, particular the ability to do new and interesting things. I work in Public Policy and Communications and make a pretty good living at it.

I'm am totally undomestic. Cooking, furniture and redecorating hold zero interest. My way of living is designed for portability. I have no furniture and essentially live out of three suitcases. I love music, art, hiking, that sort of thing. Why shouldn't I pop around the world at will if I'm unencumbered?

• Like 4

Yes, I've run into your type of living prior. Always moving never in one place. But this is the life your have chosen for yourself. Others won't understand. You can't live your life for others. You do what you feel is the best outcome for you.

If your parents love you dearly as they should, they just need to accept your way of living as they do for themselves.

• Like 1

I remember a recent flight where I conversed with a seatmate who was a retired longtime TWA stewardess (yep, she liked that name) and she remained single for many years, never planting herself in one place, a lot like you outline. Eventually, after nearly 20 years of flying, she did settle down and have a family, though still working closer to home (domestic flying) and now travels (NRSA (cheap or free), a benefit of her retirement) as a single lady in her 60's and loves it.

There's a whole world of people just like you and her out there. They all have/had parents and parents are like anyone else; they have opinions. It's your life. Enjoy it.

I say that as someone who has domiciled in the same place 55 years, though have been all over the world. Each of us has our own path. Good luck!

• Like 1

Your parents need to get over it. It's your life and as long as it's not affecting them financially, then they have no right to criticize you. I completely understand why you do this and wish I had done it years ago. When a person has an independent, free nature, it never goes away. People will try to pin you down and put you in a corner. Don't let them. There's a great big world out there and even if you die seeing it, at least you've lived your dreams.

• Like 2

That's not your parents' idea of a great life. They want you to have a great life & don't understand that in your opinion you have one.

Instead of fighting with them, help them to see your joy.

• Like 2

I love travel, but I hate the process of moving. Packing..hiring movers, uhaul etc. But it's your life and no one else's. No skin off of the backs of your parents. Let them think what they want.

• Like 1
genuinelyloverly7
I love travel, but I hate the process of moving. Packing..hiring movers, uhaul etc. But it's your life and no one else's. No skin off of the backs of your parents. Let them think what they want.

This is what OP has eliminated- If I could give up my stuff and pets, I'd travel WAAAY more. But I am still a homebody at heart.

Have a heartfelt talk with your folks and specifically address the concerns they have. No stability? You are very emotionally stable, it seems. No commitment? PLEASE! You sound extremely committed to your work and the impact you have on the world through that work. No companionship? Introduce them to some of your community, even if it is through pictures and stories. Not the community type? We all need and have community, even us loners. Even if it is your cat, or the postman, or your boss and team at work. If you think you have no personal life with these people, ask how they fulfill your community needs, and if that is enough. If it is, tell your parents about that. If you care about their concern for you, you should address it. Otherwise, you will just continue to feel pressure from them and grow to resent them for not understanding your life. Help them understand it.

I'd love to see a cool place you have been, OP! To help us homebodies be reminded of what we're missing. :cool:

Edited by genuinelyloverly7