Why can't my mom accept I am not smart and I won't get a good career?

extremis

I am not smart. Everytime I take a class in college I do badly and have to drop. Even if I study as hard as I can I do badly. It is clear I cannot handle most college classes I won't get a good career and the only job I will probably be able to do is receptionist or some other small job like that. My mom is very mad at me for saying this and keeps shouting at me to do better and that I must get a great career but there is no way I can do it. How can I convince her that I am not smart and that is that?

Why doesn't your mom accept that you aren't smart, and you won't get a good career?

Because, unlike yourself, your mother hasn't given up on you.

• Like 7
I am not smart. Everytime I take a class in college I do badly and have to drop. Even if I study as hard as I can I do badly. It is clear I cannot handle most college classes I won't get a good career and the only job I will probably be able to do is receptionist or some other small job like that. My mom is very mad at me for saying this and keeps shouting at me to do better and that I must get a great career but there is no way I can do it. How can I convince her that I am not smart and that is that?

Maybe you have a learning disability, seeking professional help and getting assessed would at least give you some idea if there's something wrong. So many people have reading and comprehension issues. Reading a question not right or not processing it that it makes sense to answer. Don't be ashamed if that is the case.

I doubt very much you're not smart. You may have bad study habits, or can't retain information the right way. Don't put yourself down!

You're young and need to find a passion, something that you love and can work hard at. I'm sure if you loved a certain subject or hobby, you'd thrive!

• Like 3

You're not going to be able to convince your mom that you're not smart enough to have a good career. She thinks (or knows) that you can do well and earn a good living, and she's trying to encourage you to go for it. That's what good moms do. She's cheering you on.

I bet the main thing that is holding you back is your defeatist attitude. Even dumb people can pass classes and earn a degree, with the right tools or the right attitude.

Let us help you. What happens in your classes that causes you to drop them? When you study as hard as you can, what is it that goes wrong?

• Like 2

maybe it's what's in those courses rather than what's in you. When I was in university I did russian language and literature and history. Those are mostly essay kinda stuff and learning grammar which I'm good at.

But when I had to take two science courses to complete university requirements for my bachelor of arts degree, their tests are all multiple choice and such. I am no good at that way of studying! They require a different method of studying than essay type tests. But I couldn't do it. Couldn't figure it out. I had to visit my profs like every day just to struggle to pass. I did pass the courses but I needed a lot of help!

but my mother who can do multiple choice studying, did help me, but she did not accept me either that it just isn`t what I`m good at. She thinks anyone can do anything if they just try hard enough. I don't hold this belief at all. we all have strengths - and sometimes there are things we just aren't good at.

I wasn't stupid. I just figured out what I was good at and not so good at and did the rest of my degree just fine doing courses which had my strengths! :love:

Maybe you have the same problem?

Your mom won't accept it because she knows it's not true. She knows you can do better if you really work at it. She is doing what any good mother would she is pushing you into doing what she knows your capable of doing.

• Like 1

Find your passion in life and make a career of it.

Parents sometimes need to count the simple blessings of having a healthy child who has some ambitions. You appeased them long enough...take time to find what your special talents may be. Maybe you are more artistic or creative? Maybe you are more math oriented , Maybe you just need to re-access where your talents lay. Best to you....!

• Like 2

Just do the best you can and tell her you're doing the best you can. The truth is most young people do end up with menial jobs right out of school.