Dad Doesn't Pay Child Support

KenzMichelle

KenzMichelle

So when I was little, I was forced to see my biological father every other weekend. Then came a day where he slept all day and refused to get up to feed me, so I called my mom on his phone and she showed up with the cops. That was the last day I had to go because he never bothered to make contact with me..but he did apologize that night. Last year, I looked him up on FaceBook, and he claims that he loves me and my mom still (My mom married about two years after the incident) but he never proved it. I've decided to be adopted by step-father..but my bio-father still owes me about $26,000 or more.. which I would love to have because I plan on majoring in quite a few things and still having some money to save up for a house or apartment. The thing is..without the money, I can't do that..which means I can't take the path I wanted to. Now I'm stuck here trying to find multiple scholarships that I am eligible for..and so far, there's only two. I know that my bio-father doesn't have enough money because he buys drugs and gets paid in cash..illegally (which then all goes towards people he still owes for drugs and other stuff) If I bring this up in court, will I get my money from government or anything? And will he serve any time in jail? I know this is terrible, but I really wish they would put him in for a couple months or a year.

I've decided to be adopted by step-father..but my bio-father still owes me about $26,000 or more..

You're sixteen, right? He doesn't owe it to you, he owes it to your mother. She would have to take him to court over it. Have you spoken to her about it? What does she say?

• Like 4
... The thing is..without the money, I can't do that..which means I can't take the path I wanted to. ...

There's probably nothing you can do to change your father.

But, most importantly, pursue your dreams and goals no matter who fails you or doesn't meet their responsibilities. You can take the path you want to take no matter what anyone else does. Good luck and make it happen.

As the " child " you are not entitled to the child support. It sucks that your dad was not that keen on being around or paying child support but there is not really anything you can do.

What I want to know is why aren't this mans wages being garnished ?

• Like 2
If I bring this up in court, will I get my money from government or anything?

No, the government is not going to give you squat. You can take out student loans, but you'll have to pay those back.

At this point all you can do is beg your mother to press to enforce the right to child support. However, you can't get blood out of a stone. If your dad is in an illegal cash business there probably aren't assets to seize.

You have to check the laws of your state but when you turn 18 you may have a right to press back child support payments on your own.

You need to consult a family lawyer about all of this.

In some states divorced parents can be forced to contribute to a child's college education but again, if dad doesn't have the money you are going to spend a lot of money to get a judgment that might not be worth anything.

You are welcome to decide much, but adoption is decided thru petitioning the courts and both biological parents consent. Its just not awarded because you've decided. Its a complicated process.

Others are correct.No monies are given to the "child" in Child support payments.

It is not illegal to refrain from filing for support, unless the guardian/custodial parent is applying for federal or state assistance. Then its a forced issue.

Most adults who do need financial and emotional support ( co-parenting) do so in the interest of the child/ren. They accept responsibility and do so fairly with the objective being monies go towards the childs needs first and foremost. Speak with your mother and ask her directly, she is the one that chose this. I know as a single parent I never forced the issue as my childrens father was there in many other ways...Money can't buy their love but a day out or immeasurable memories sure did! Sorry that your Dad didn't step up to the plate in that way.

Child support is paid to the parent with care, to help pay for the costs of raising you - rent, utilities, food, clothing. Your mother is owed the money, not you. Even if he paid in 20 years time, it would go to her, not you. Now, she could choose to hand it over to you.... but your best bet at this stage is to write it off and go forward with your life. Good luck.

• Like 1

It is sad to know what your father is doing...I feel you should talk to your mom about it and then consult a family lawyer.. He will be able to guide you better...he can guide you about what approach to follow...