Parents against me dating

Kittykat96

Kittykat96

So i split up with my ex of 6 months just under a month ago. Being 18 and still studying, i live at home with my parents whilst at college/sixth form, i still respect my parents and ask permission to go out, etc.

In the past week/2 weeks i have begun to get closer to a guy from work (hes 19), who ive been friends with a while and we have mutually expressed that we quite like eachtother, and so we went on a date last night.

While i understand it is quite soon after my recent break up, my mum was pretty horrified at the thought of me dating and flipped out and has essentially told me not to get involved with anyone.

With my ex, my college work was never affected and we were in an ldr, but i hardly moped about all the time, i got on with things! So i dont understand why my mum is against me dating

I really want to continue to see the guy but i dont want to disrespect my parents, so do i continue to just see him and not get overly invested in anything yet (my original plans anyway) or do i tell him i dont want to see him like that?

Thanks in advance :)

When your mom is calmer, ask her to rationally explain her reasons. Then ask if you can bring the new guy around to study. Perhaps if your parents see he's a serious student & a nice guy they will be more open to you dating him.

SteakandSalad

It may not be the fact of your dating getting in the way of college, maybe she thinks you still need time to recover?

Kudos to you for obeying/listening to your parents. You're a good egg :)

• Like 2

The only thing I have to add is you're now 18 idk where you live but where I am from you are legally an adult and if you wanted to keep seeing him they could not prevent you but if you live under their household they can def make it difficult.

I like idea of d0nn's suggestion of having a heart to heart talk with your mom about her reasons.

littleplanet

Looks to me like this:

If your mom was cool with you dating your ex.....it certainly is all about recovery time.

So might not be a bad idea to take things slow.

In the meantime, you can still take the opportunity to get to know your colleague better.

If you explain to him your circumstances, either he will understand, or he won't.

It isn't like you'd have to wait forever - just for awhile.

Your mom isn't being a tyrant here. She just has your best interests at heart, and while you are still living under her roof, this is her opportunity to apply that directly.

So talk it over with her.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a similar situation actually, although for you I wouldn't recommend what I did. Your mom seems more understandable about dating than mine was so talking it out with her is your best option. I'd be so grateful if my mom were at least that understanding about my relationships that way I could've kept the " good daughter" trait which is always good to have.