My dad died today :(

amaysngrace

amaysngrace

And I'm so heartbroken. He went peacefully in his sleep with all of us around him. I'm so proud of my mother. She knew exactly when to say enough of trying to keep him merely existing and instead of keeping him here for her own selfish reasons she took beautiful care of him until the very end.

I am so blessed to have been born to such wonderful parents.

Rest in peace Daddy...I love you always...

• Like 24
underwater2010

I will NOT tell that it gets easier. 4 yrs later...there is not a day that goes by that I don't miss him. Just remember that he will be watching over all of you and take peace in that. Check back and let me know when you realize it. There are signs.

HUGS!!!!

• Like 1

I'm so sorry Grace. Massive hugs to you. Make sure you and your family take good care of yourself during this difficult time, and I hope you can take some consolation from the peaceful nature of his passing. xxx

• Like 1

Take care amaysngrace. This was a recent life event for me as well, my mum did the same. I was not so brave. X

• Like 1

I am sorry to hear the news. All the best to you and your family, amaysngrace.

• Like 1
Itspointless

I am really sorry for you. For me it is almost 16 years ago that I lost my mom to an illness. It has changed my life and who I am in profound ways. I hope you can look back to great memories. In that way your father will always be with you. It will get better, but as in my case I will always miss her. Be kind to yourself.

• Like 1
regine_phalange
And I'm so heartbroken. He went peacefully in his sleep with all of us around him. I'm so proud of my mother. She knew exactly when to say enough of trying to keep him merely existing and instead of keeping him here for her own selfish reasons she took beautiful care of him until the very end.

Im sorry for your loss. May your dad rest in peace.

People dont die as long as we remember them with love.

• Like 2
Eternal Sunshine

I am sorry to hear that Grace. At least he went surrounded with people that loved him and that he loved. When it's time, that's the best way to go.

• Like 1

I could feel the love and respect from your words. Prayers of peace and healing for you and your family as well as for your Dad's journey to a better place.

• Like 1

So sorry for your loss. I have not experienced this yet, but I can imagine how hard it is.

Sending hugs your way.

• Like 1

amaysngrace , my warmest thoughts are with you. Having also been at my father's bedside when he passed away, I can fully empathise with how you feel.

In time, this initial burst of grief will settle and the fond memories will come to the fore. It may not make your loss easier to bear but it will keep him alive in your heart.

(((Hugs.)))

TM

• Like 1
whichwayisup

I'm sorry for your loss, deepest sympathies to you and your family.

• Like 1
Grumpybutfun

It sounds like you had a really healthy relationship with your father and that is a gift. I am deeply saddened for you to lose someone you loved. It is never easy. You and your mother are blessed to have one another.

Deepest condolences,

Grumps

• Like 1

So sorry for your loss. The meaning of life is discovered when even though you're gone the love and joy you gave to your loved ones will never pass away.

My thoughts and prayers are with you:love:

• Like 1

Be gentle unto your self during this loss, sorrow to be shared. Memories to be embraced. My condolences to your family, peace.

• Like 1

I'm sorry you are going through this [my dad died 3yrs ago as well], i just hope he went peacefully and there were no things left unsaid before it happened [we didn't].

• Like 1
  • Author
amaysngrace

Thank you everyone for all of your thoughts and prayers. It really is appreciated.

The funeral was today and boy am I tired. We had a huge snowstorm through the night and into today but the turnout was impressive.

Everything went perfectly.

I'm sorry to hear about all the people who have lost a parent on this thread. It's one of those things that unless you live through it you just cannot understand it fully.

I did pretty well for the most part but only because I sobbed my heart out when they brought in the casket. Luckily it was before all the people showed up and it was mostly my immediate family. My one sister told me to let it all out and so I did but after that through mass and the rest of the day I was composed so I'm really really glad that I had that much needed cry.

I've had plenty of time to prepare for this because my Dad had a massive stroke in October so I knew he wasn't well. He had a lot of health issues and we were all made aware of them a while before that too but luckily I was able to spend my time these past six months telling him and, more importantly, showing him how much he means to me. He even said recently, "I know that you love me" so I have that always.

One day he was expressing regret on things he'd have done differently and I was able to tell him not to feel that way about me because for me I always felt loved and accepted by him, which I absolutely did. And as a child isn't that what we want most from our parents?

xo

• Like 11