Discouraging mother

hotpotato

What exactly does a mother gain by being discouraging?

Everything I want to do, she discourages. The only thing she has ever encouraged me to do was college, which blew up in my face. I am now one of the many Americans without a degree but with student loans. Student loans have prevented me from doing much of what I wanted to do, but that's another story.

Anyways, if she figures out I want to go overseas, she'll tell me not to.

If she thinks, I'd like live in a beautiful cabin for awhile, she'll discourage me.

Just anything besides college and she will discourage me.

Mothers sometimes try to live their lost lives through their daughters. She had her life, her choices. Now you have yours. If you're under her roof, you do have to respect her rules. If you're not under her roof, go do whatever you want to do and can do. I was very adventurous when young and I don't regret any of it, and certainly my mother didn't want me doing any of it. She eventually got sort of used to it though once I began making money living my dream.

• Like 2

She cannot see what she is doing to you , and probably does not care. Be strong, soon you can move out and you can remove her from your life. Then you can control the interaction between the two of you.

That sounds cruel and mean, but you need to protect yourself.

• Like 2