A Deviant Divorce

MrJazzyPanda

Hello, I'm a 15 year-old boy who lives in Illinois. My parents are divorced; however the situation is extremely odd. I think that it would help if I provided some background about both of my parents. First there's my father who is the only one currently working in the family. Though his job is quite unreliable and we often cut corners. It's to the point where sometimes he can't even pay the bills. Thus he also has bad credit score and also owes quite a lot of money to the IRS. In order for the house not to get taken by them, the name of the house has been switched to a relative. Then there's my mother who is now unemployed and has been for the last 20 or so years. She has no college background and it would be hard for her to achieve some sort of god job that would be reliable. She was the one who originally applied for the divorce due to my father's irresponsibilites and was sick and tired of him. My mother had to pay large sums of money, from what was given from relatives, for an attorney; however that didn't last long. Whilst my father had gotten an attorney for free, due to connections. The catch is that they did get divorced, but no custody or other things along the line of that were given, due to my father's attorney repetitive stalling. Both of my parents kept this a secret from my older brother, older sister, and I. Though about a year ago my mother told me that they got divorced, unbeknownst to my father. The reason why my mother is so hesitant on following through with the divorce is because it would cost another large sum of money and our bad financial situation cannot support this. My other sibling are on their way out; however I'm stuck in this position. When asked by mother I said that I wanted her to have full custody of me, because I don't really see my father as a paternal figure. Essentially what I'm trying to say is, what is there to do! The main problem would be money, because my mother basically has nothing and would like to move out to some apartment. Would we automatically be forced to survive on welfare and child support or is there some other alternative? HELP, I feel like the situation is going to be deadlocked for a while. The divorce occurred three years ago and they're living together like it didn't happen, but in a dysfunctional and non-happy manner. Thank You

Your Mom Has to work. Welfare and child support are what she can apply for...but in many states she wont get assistance unless she is working, unless she can prove she can't work.

Your parents are staying together , but divorced, for financial reasons and also probably so that your mom could qualify for health insurance assistance.

You aren't going to be able to figure this out for them...but it's admirable that you get it and that you at least, are interested in solving the problem.

Any chance you can live with one of your older siblings? Your mom has got to go to work, if she doesn't, she will be worse off when you , her last dependent, leaves.

Get good grades, graduate, and dorm.