What would you do?

smile1983

My situation is kind of touchy. I have one sister who had a breakdown a couple of years ago and we let her go into CPS custody so that they could take care of her because we couldn't afford to pay for her meds or hospital stay. Well she got better but then they put her in a group home. She does not like the way they treat her at the group home and after she turned eighteen she tried to get out. She told me she was going to try. I talk to her and she was completely lucid and understood that she was going to have to get a job and get a place of her own but she was tired of being told what to do and having a curfew. She has always been a little more independent than other kids, she always wanted to be taking care of herself and I think if she hadn't had the breakdown she might have emancipated herself so that she could do just that. Well, she tried to leave care and they put her back in the hospital. She has been entirely lucid every time I have spoken with her but she is scared because of what they can do. I told her to do her best to convince the doctors that she was completely sane because that might be the only way she can get out. I have never been in a mental institution, so I do not know what all goes on in there, but she is frightened. I know that when I hear it in her voice. I want to hire a lawyer or something but I can't afford it. I wish there was something I could do to help her out. I do not think she deserves to be back there, not just for trying to be independent. Maybe if she was trying to kill herself or something, but not for this. She is afraid that she will always have someone's foot on her holding her down because she has this diagnosis. I told her that all she had to do was prove she was sane but I am not sure of this. Can anyone help me out with advice? Does anyone have any experience with places like this? Have I done all I can do?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the replies. My sis finally got out and is fine. I feel like I get ignored a lot on this forum.