Mom & some relatives talking about girlfriend behind her back

reardear

My mom always says to relatives that have just met/seen my girlfriend that she's overweight. I don't understand why she always needs to bring it up, and she does it as if she were bragging about it (but obviously isn't). My girlfriend is curvy (in a good way) and doesn't even appear to be "overweight". You honestly wouldn't think anything if you saw her. She's very attractive.

Just today my little cousin, who's 10, told me that my grandpa and some other relatives talked about her being fat and how she walks funny. I believe my mom brought it up first just as she has with other relatives before and then they started looking for these details.

I told her and she said she doesn't want to see my family anymore. I don't blame her and I kind of feel the same way. She's not ashamed of anything except how everyone thinks a pretty girl has to be stick-thin.

Should I do/say something to my family?

You shouldn't have told your girlfriend about the comments. What good did it do? Well, at least she now knows they're all catty and will back-stab people for no reason. If she likes you, she'll have to weather your nasty family.

Whenever your family makes such comments, don't stay silent. Defend your girlfriend. It is very rude to gossip about another person's appearance. Tell them it's disrespectful to her and you.

• Like 2