Rude to boyfriend's family

worldexploded

worldexploded

My brother's girlfriend has been living with us for about a month now. It's not going well. I'm trying to remain unbiased about her but she is getting on my mom's last nerve.

I will admit my mom is a diva, kind of annoying and a little crazy sometimes. However she is letting her with us rent free, pretty much with no obligations. So the least she could do is be respectful

This morning my brother said good morning to my mom. When Erin (his girlfriend) passed by my mom my mom said "Aren't you going to say good morning?" she replied " Aren't you going to say good morning to me?" I gasped.

I usually don't agree with my mom but that was really rude.

I started to think about my ex's family and thought if I had been respectful enough towards them.

I know I tried to make an effort.

Before we broke up his mom told him I was being cold and distant towards her the last time I saw her. I didn't even notice. I didn't make much conversation but I thought I looked normal. I was having a bad day but being rude to her was never my intention I wanted them both to know that.

There had been times when he would take me home and I wouldn't say good night if I was in different room from where they were

I figured if I had been rude he would have told me what's up and put me in my place. Not just break up with me.

Would that be a reason to break up with a girl?

Sounds to me like your mother was being rude to your brother's girlfriend . . . I'm wondering why you excuse her behaviour but get upset with this girl when she gets lippy back at her. Sounds to me like the typical "it's my house so I'll act how I want but you have to be respectful" sort of double-standard.

Did your ex give you a reason for why he was breaking up with you?

• Author
worldexploded
Sounds to me like your mother was being rude to your brother's girlfriend . . . I'm wondering why you excuse her behaviour but get upset with this girl when she gets lippy back at her. Sounds to me like the typical "it's my house so I'll act how I want but you have to be respectful" sort of double-standard.

Did your ex give you a reason for why he was breaking up with you?

Actually, that is exactly how my mom is about the situation. lol

I'm defending my mom because she's letting her live with us for free...no rent, no nothing, not even chores. That's not even her child. Yeah, my mom is annoying but his girlfriend could just turn the other cheek and at least try to be respectful. She doesn't have to like my mom.

My boyfriend broke up with me because he said I was too dependent and I was holding him back. I was dealing with some issues (stress at home, trying to find a way to pay for school).

I didn't have a car at the time (which he didn't like) but maybe he meant dependent emotionally. I never treated him like a taxi.

He thought I wasn't doing enough for myself although I've been taking small steps to improve my situation. I have goals I was just really stuck on how to get there.

I actually have a thread about it if you're interested.

Ex boyfriend said I was holding him back

flopply hat

Difficult situation. I probably wouldn't let his girlfriend stay there unless it's emergency circumstances. If she can't leave then your mom has to take on a more adult role and understand that his girlfriend is probably feeling uncomfortable. We can all be a bit 'horrid' when in stressful situations.

Lots of love and understanding is needed.

• Like 1