Issue with older parents

I am 46, parents in their late 70's early 80's with one brother that is 6 years older.

Brother and I haven't gotten along in 10 years but my parents and I have not had that many issues.

We my parents and I did have an issue I was always the one coming to them and saying "lets talk".

Something happened with my brother in March of this year and we all came together to support him and his family. Then my parents and I ended up having a issue that came up that caused me to cut ties with them. I haven't talked to them in 3 months. Longest I have ever gone without talking to them. Usually never more than a few weeks.

I say all of this to see if anyone has had a similar situation?

I am tired of being the one to make peace with everyone, but NOBODY has tried to reach out to me... AT ALL!!!

They are old and I know they wont be around much longer. As I said, I am tired of being the one who makes the first move.

Thanks for any comments of suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...
HokeyReligions

That's a tough call. Hubby had a falling out with his dad. They didn't speak for several years. Got a call from his step mom that hid dad was sick. We went to see him several times. He never recognized his son. Then he died. Same thing happened with step dad. Hadn't spoken in nearly a year. Call. Went to hospital. Step dad died. Hubby csnt stand his mothrr. He does not love her tho he has tried. He stays in contact now.

Maybe if you reach out one more time and be honest with them. Tell them you love them and you would like to be closer but that you've been so hurt by them and don't see that pattern changing that you have decided for your own peace of mind to say goodbye to them now, you can either gain some of that peace or open their eyes enough to see that they've been taking you for granted.

Don't count on them changing tho. I saw how hurt my mom was when her mother always went on and on sbout moms sister and her family in another state and my sister and her family also in another state yet never once said thank you or asked how my mom and I were and we were the ones taking care of her day in and day out. She called us by our siblings names often and was always reading us letters from the othrrs. It used to make me sooo mad! And hurt for my mom. She never ever realized how much she was hurting us - especially my mom.

• Like 1

If they are poor, cut your losses now. If they are rich, grovel and beg forgiveness and offer to be the executor of their estate.