Dad offered me his studio to live in

pink_sugar

My dad's tenant is moving out and he asked if my husband and I wanted to move in to save money. However, this studio is $1200 which is too high. He even wants to charge us more than his last tenant while knowing our financial situation. We'd also have to pay for a storage unit since we currently live in a one bedroom..bringing the total average monthly cost to $1300. We pay $1500 for a one bedroom apartment...not a huge savings, especially since our place now is twice as large with a/c and a dishwasher, versus the studio with no a/c or dishwasher. He'd also only allow one of our cats and giving one of them up would just be too difficult due to their ages. I told him MAYBE for $1000 it would be worth the savings...but not only $200-250 savings...especially to technically live with your parents again. I know my brother and his ex fiance did not like living in his studio at all. My dad would always come up or yell up for my brother, my brother and his ex would smell their food through the vents or hear them fight through the vents. Not to mention how super hot it was in there during the summer. It's a nice studio, but not worth the savings and technically living with family again even if the place does have a separate entrance.

No brainer:

"Thanks, Dad - but no thanks!"

Stay on your own and keep your self-respect.

• Like 3
  • Author

Yep, I told him last night that I would only consider $1000 or less and that he can go ahead with placing his ad. Moving costs money, so the savings had better be worth it. :p

Doesn't sound like your dad has your best interest in mind, but rather he's just wants to find someone to rent the studio to quickly.

• Like 1
  • Author
Doesn't sound like your dad has your best interest in mind, but rather he's just wants to find someone to rent the studio to quickly.

Yeah, he said it would save me some money...but if he really wanted me to save money, he'd lower the price since he knows I do not make much. My brother rented it at one time for $800. Sorry, family shouldn't be paying market rate to live with family. For a place half the size as we have now, no a/c or dishwasher for 2 people and having to give up my cat isn't worth a $250-$300 savings. My cats have been with us for 6 years and are 9 and 10 now. It's not that simple as "just find one of them another home". I don't have kids, so these are my kids and I'm not giving them up.

Edited by pink_sugar