Old life, new life

Robert P

Hello, everybody! A few months ago, I posted a thread in which I described the fact that I was 27 years-old and still lived with my parents, and they treated me like a child - I couldn't do lots of stuff that I wish I could.

Well, let me tell you how the story ends, hehe. And I'll add a new question.

I started working. Yeah, I'm 28 years old and I finally got a job. I moved from my parents' house about a month ago. Now I visit them ocasionally, at the weekends, twice ou three times a month. I still love them.

I'm living on my own. Sometimes I hang out with my friends until late, and I also drink beer very often. I have everything quite under control: I have a very good salary, my boss is impressed by my skills, I'm making new friends and studying a lot, and I'm planning to get married soon.

Nevertheless, I still have the same old problem. I would be happier if I could tell my parents about my life. I wish I could just sit with my father and share a beer with him. I would like to tell my mother that I travelled somewhere nice and had fun. And the list goes on forever.

But I can't tell them those things. They still think I'm a child. I don't depend on them for anything, now. I can carry on with my life without their support. I mean: I don't need their money or their consentment for anything. But I really wanted them to respect me, to treat me like an adult. At the same time, I know that they probably wouldn't bear to know those things. They would suffer a lot if they knew that their little child has grown up.

What should I do? Should I ignore it and pretend that I don't do anything that they disapprove? Should I hide those acts from them forever? Or should I try to tell them the truth? How should I do it?

I'll answer any further questions about the subject. And thanks in advance for any suggestions! :)