Paternity Test Before Signing As the Father...?

USMCHokie

Another thread prompted me to ask this question...

Ladies, would you be offended if your man insisted upon a paternity test for your newborn child before he would sign the birth certificate accepting responsibility as father of that child?

And guys, would you ask for one, even if you had no reason to believe the child wasn't yours?

Star Gazer

If you're married, you're presumed the father in most jurisdictions.

But regardless, if I was pregnant and my SO asked for a paternity test, I'd be devastated, and the relationship would never recover.

• Like 3
  • Author
If you're married, you're presumed the father in most jurisdictions.

Even if paternity test immediately after birth shows otherwise? :confused:

We'd presumably be married when that happens, so yes, very offended.

Personally, I think that if you can't trust a woman enough to not cheat on you, you really shouldn't be having children with her.

In the case of the two people being broken up already and the woman suddenly calls and says she's pregnant and demands child support, I see no harm in asking for the test.

• Like 7
  • Author

Personally, I think that if you can't trust a woman enough to not cheat on you, you really shouldn't be having children with her.

Have you seen the infidelity forums here on LS...? :eek: And I'm sure the few instances we see here aren't isolated events that happen nowhere else...

• Like 3
Have you seen the infidelity forums here on LS...? :eek: And I'm sure the few instances we see here aren't isolated events that happen nowhere else...

As I said. If, due to personal issues, you have problems trusting your partner or everyone (your partner included), do not have children with them. Get a vasectomy.

Because, even if the child is proven to be yours, how are you going to be a stable family unit when you're suspecting at every juncture that she's going to be cheating on you?

• Like 2
Star Gazer
Even if paternity test immediately after birth shows otherwise? :confused:

Yes, don't you remember this from CP? You'd have to move the court to disclaim paternity. If a child is born during a marriage, it's presumed the husband's.

• Like 1
  • Author
Yes, don't you remember this from CP? You'd have to move the court to disclaim paternity. If a child is born during a marriage, it's presumed the husband's.

It's been a while... :laugh:

I understand that presumption, but isn't there another presumption that even if a child isn't yours, a man is presumed to be the parent after enough time is spent raising that child as if he were his? And any paternity test would hold little weight in relieving a man of parental responsibility?

I think I'm going to take CA in Feb just for poops and giggles. I'm trying to stay in CA another 4 years after I get back...

• Author
If, due to personal issues, you have problems being a trustworthy partner, do not have children. Get your tubes tied.

Does this work too? :confused:

Does this work too? :confused:

Yes, actually.

In your case, though, you mentioned specifically that there was no real reason to distrust the partner - the only reason was that other people have cheated on other people before.

• Like 1
  • Author

In your case, though, you mentioned specifically that there was no real reason to distrust the partner - the only reason was that other people have cheated on other people before.

Sure, but I don't see this much differently from a prenup. You're not outright accusing the other party that they will cheat and leave you; it's simply a measure of self-protection. I know some people are offended when presented with a prenup, as if the other party doesn't believe the marriage will last. However, it's a reasonable measure to protect yourself from what could happen, i.e. divorce. Is this no different, where you are taking a reasonable measure to protect yourself from what could happen, i.e., the child is from another man, even if you have no reasonable belief that it would be?

If I am having unprotected sex then I am going to assume that the baby is mine as I do trust my wife.

I guess that the only way that I would ever be suspicious is if the baby came out not looking like me at all.

• Like 3

Look, if you genuinely believe this, then stick to your guns and do what you will.

I see little point in asking whether or not people would be offended, and then trying to convince them that they are wrong in being offended. :confused: Yes, I would be very offended by a prenup and a paternity test. No, not all women are like me. Some women may even prefer to have prenups, and I'm sure some women will be fine with the paternity test. Seek compatibility.

• Like 5
lovelorcet

Most people would be shocked to know the level of this kind of infidelity. It can be as high as 10% of people or effecting 1 in 4 families. This will become a difficult issue that we will have to deal with as the price of sequencing genomes continues to drop. It is already possible to sequence the entire genome of an unborn child simply from a maternal blood sample. In 20 years it could be standard practice...

• Like 1
aussietigerwolf

a don't give a damn with a prenup but if you're demanding a paternity test if I've given you no reason to wonder if it's yours or not then you'll need that prenup...

• Like 5
  • Author

I guess that the only way that I would ever be suspicious is if the baby came out not looking like me at all.

Like this...? :confused:

• Like 1
And guys, would you ask for one, even if you had no reason to believe the child wasn't yours?

Absent being married, where paternity is legally presumed to be the husbands here in Cali, knowing what I know now after 54 on this rock, I'd verify before signing a CS909 and get legal advice besides. Back in the day, though, wouldn't have given it a second thought. So, it worked out.

• Like 1
  • Author
Precisely.

Or this

Highly unlikely. Reference the below:

You should have married a Chinaman. His genes would have conquered all parts of you.

Probably not based on those sausages you showed us.

• Like 2

No way, I wouldn't consider it....unless she was like some she night stand or something. If we were in a relationship then no way!!

If my H had asked for a paternity test I would have showed him the door.

If it was a casual R or a fling, or one that had ended, maybe I would be ok with it.

• Like 2

I'd take the test and then serve him papers. There's no use remaining married to someone who can't trust.

• Like 6
  • Author
If my H had asked for a paternity test I would have showed him the door.

I'd take the test and then serve him papers. There's no use remaining married to someone who can't trust.

Got it. But we all want to think that we are ultimately trustworthy and can do no wrong...but people make mistakes, don't they? Do you think the attitude that "if you can't trust me, then leave" still counts if the person can't be trusted?

Looking at it from a different perspective, is there a duty for the woman to disclose that the kid might not be the guy's kid if she had sex outside of the relationship? Or is it ok to hide that under the veil of supreme trust....?

I think what you're both saying is probably good, but shouldn't it come with the presumption that the woman can be fully trusted?

Looking at it from a different perspective, is there a duty for the woman to disclose that the kid might not be the guy's kid if she had sex outside of the relationship?

Of course.....? :confused:

• Like 4