custody battle

I have to start off by saying that I have two beautiful children out of an abusive relationship. I loved the man so much that didn't see the mistakes I was making by allowing him to be in their lives. I now see the reality of the situation and for the past few months I have separated my self and my children from this individual and now filing for full custody. The custody hearings have been ongoing because he refuses to show up. I have another one coming up in which I have been informed that he may show up and fight for his "rights" to see his children. In all honesty, this man is a danger to my children and I and its at their best interest to end all type of contact or relationship with this man. he has several substance abuse, he has anger issues, he is violent, and has another child that he has no custody of because of the same reasons. my social worker is telling me that he may still have the right to see his children and gave me the impression that he may be showing up to court this time around. I am under the impression that she spoke to him and he of course lied in regards to all the accusations against him.

My question is

Is there anything I can do to help my case?

has anyone been through a similar situation?

what kind of paperwork or prove do I need?

I am going full force against this man and will refuse to allow him to see my children. Anything that you can tell me would be helpful.

I have been through almost identical situation. I was with my ex for three years had a son together. I actually got the balls enough to leave him and stay with my parents, He came to see me one day and was not welcome at my parents house he became very angry. The police officer showed up and said that he (my ex) wanted to see our son and the officer said without a custody paper theres was nothing I could do to prevent it. Which given our past SCARED me to death. I didnt want him to be with my son. So after that information I decided to go to court and get custody. My lawyer insisted that the judge would have given us joint custody, but his would have been supervised visits because of his drug abuse and police records. He never showed up to the court hearing and due to his abcense I received full sole custody of my son!!! It was one of the best days of my life!! Although I did not receive child support from him until my son turned 18. My son is 20 now, and no child support anymore. I hope this helps you a little. :)

• Author

Im happy to hear that you were able to keep your son. How long after the hearings did they grant you full custody? This would be my 3rd time going. He didnt show up to the other 2. was the judge requiring a lot of paperwork from you?

thank you for getting back to my post :')

• Like 1

I'd ask for supervised visitations for him. It's something you're more likely to get and it keeps the kiddos safe.

• Like 1
todreaminblue

i have never had to go to court for any of my children....two different fathers all gave me full custody without much fuss...and no court....some men are not fit to be fathers, in saying that in the line of justice you cannot change the fact that fathers have rights adn they are the same as yours....thats justice............i would as another poster suggested to you,dont try and stop visitation.......request supervised visits because that is probably what he would get .......if you can find as much back up to the abuse, any and all of it as you can, paperwork is essential......did you journal any.......do you keep a diary, any witnesses to his drug and or alcohol abuse....any tickets for speeding or drink driving........all in all its very hard to stop a guy from seeing the children he is genetically responsible for..unless he is in goal..everthign else innocent until proven guilty...so prove it.....you wont have a problem gaining sole custody if you have written proof and witnesses...specific dates needed, it also puts you in a favorable light if you tell them you would be open to supervised visitation only.....deb