adults living at home

Do the disadvantages outweigh the advantages? From my personal experience, the only advantage is saving money for your own place, but other than that is a living hell. Parents are overbearing, constantly criticizing you because you have different beliefs and opinions, they are nasty and disrespectful because they don't agree with your career choices and the way you dress or style your hair. Do they think just because you live under their roof they can control you like a puppet? Violate you privacy? Or think they have a free pass to treat you however they want? Do they twist Bible verses for their own purposes? Have you tried telling them what you are feeling but they are incapable of reasoning and continue to be *******s? Like I said before they don't have to agree with your choices but that doesn't give them the right to be disrespectful. Why can't parents see that this is a recipe for resentment and a distant relationship?

Absewarrior

Hi Maddy:

I wish you had written more about the specifics of your situation because it is really too general for me to give an honest feedback on. Are you in this situation or are you thinking of moving back with your parents? Are you wanting support for moving back with them or people who are in similiar cicumstances to share their experiences with you?

AW

Given the job market, and also any personal factors that come up...adults living with their parents is commonplace.

But I'm thinking that if your adult child is living at home because financially they have to, even though they hate it ...

I would be inclined to think that they were not making successful choices. If what someone is doing to find Work and get ahead isn't working....taking the advice of those that have done it...

It's not a bad idea.

It also depends on how much your job pays and how much it costs to live on your own.

In Portugal, where I'm from, it's quite common for adults to live with their parents until their 30's if they're not married.

That's because most jobs don't pay more than €1200/€1500 a month and renting usually costs about €700 for a 1 bedroom flat (in the capital, Lisbon) or about 250k to buy.

Even if you have a nice job, it'll take you a while to save up to be able to leave (unless you're like me and are prepared to take a hit on your quality of life and rent somewhere cheap as soon as possible).

Also, most of the people I know who still live with their parents at, say, 30, usually do so because it's nice. Non controlling parents, that provide bed and board!

My brother is one of those people. He's 29, has a good job, that pays the average I posted above, and he's in no real hurry to leave. He's said he's gonna move out this year, and that he's been saving up for it, but in reality he hasn't felt pressures to leave in the past few years since he left uni. My mom nudges him, but would never kick him out. He lives his life and only needs to warn of whether he's coming home for dinner or not.

So it really depends and it's not the same for everyone.

Do the disadvantages outweigh the advantages? From my personal experience, the only advantage is saving money for your own place, but other than that is a living hell. Parents are overbearing, constantly criticizing you because you have different beliefs and opinions, they are nasty and disrespectful because they don't agree with your career choices and the way you dress or style your hair. Do they think just because you live under their roof they can control you like a puppet? Violate you privacy? Or think they have a free pass to treat you however they want? Do they twist Bible verses for their own purposes? Have you tried telling them what you are feeling but they are incapable of reasoning and continue to be *******s? Like I said before they don't have to agree with your choices but that doesn't give them the right to be disrespectful. Why can't parents see that this is a recipe for resentment and a distant relationship?

You are an adult, leave your parents' place (they want you to anyway) instead of arguing and moaning. Build your own home.

cosmicpanda

Maddy have you ever thought that maybe they dont want to let go since their baby is all grown up. And in the last moments they have they are trying to make sure they did a good job hence all the criticism and bitching. ?

I moved out of my parents when i was 16, i would do anything to get my mom to hurry and get a house so i can move back with her. It kind of sucks not living with your parents me and my mom would fight all the time but thats natural.

But if you can afford to move out, and you know that they truly dont want you there than yes move?

Edited by cosmicpanda
wanted to add somethin
amaysngrace
I can't believe you people think verbal abuse is OK

You never said they verbally abuse you, just preach the bible to you. You are the one who said they are *******s.

I think maybe you may misinterpret things sometimes.