mother

flavor86

im 27 years old my mother always judges people esp my girlfriends currently im engaged to a wonderful woman she always puts her down and tells me i can do better i even started telling her im not going anywhere and im happy but she continues to do it what can i do

Calvin's wagon

Hey flavor, I hope you're still following this thread!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation! But I'm glad that you are aware of the problem and are trying to resolve it!

It took me a long time to admit myself that I have problems with my parents.

I would recommend you to read through these threads to see if there are other situations, similar to yours, and what they recommend there. I'd also suggest reading books from this field.

A book called Toxic parents (by Susan Forward) really helped me! It's also available to view online (susan forward toxic parents pdf free ebook download from salardayuni.files.wordpress.com). If you can, try to read "Families and how to survive them" by Skynner before reading the book Toxic parents.

Also, try to talk to your friends and other people you trust about this. It will help. Also, try to check out if there are any support groups or affordable/free counselling. In addition, I think in a lot of states there are free phone lines to call when you're dealing with such problems. Check them out.

And if you ever want to talk to us some more, we're here for you!

Best wishes

• 2 weeks later...
alicerobert

Respect your Mother always... with out her you are nothing... and keep keep your relationships carefully. you must behave like an adult you have to mange both your relationships in a sensible way that both be happy with you and with each other.