Should I move back in with my family for a while?

Starlett

I am 33 years old, still single and have no kids, also live in the City. Love the City life and doing quite well here. Do have a bit of Dept I would like to get rid of though and to get my savings back on track. It will only be temporary!

My family do not live in the City. They live an hour out so will have to commute to the City for work. Back where they are is my sister and her family, plus Mum and Dad.

I have already told them about the idea and they like it and are supportive about it. Will have a room for me there also.

Just hope this does not affect my dating situation too much!

Just will miss living in the City and being close to work but the extra money I will be saving will set me up really good and could always move back to the City after I get my financial situation sorted.

Sure you would save some money on rent, but think about all that money on gas that you will be spending it on instead by commuting an hour each way. Is it really worth it?

Have you thought about using the car less and taking the metro/subway more since you live in the city to save some cash?

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Like 2
  • Author

I think so. Even with commuting costs and putting in for bills. I would be able to save almost half my pay instead of paying rent. I would be living rent free. Plus double what I have now to spend on weekends.

That's true city living is expensive. Do you live in an apartment? You also could consider renting a room instead. I guess you just have to weigh the pros and cons to make the best decision for yourself.

I think so. Even with commuting costs and putting in for bills. I would be able to save almost half my pay instead of paying rent. I would be living rent free. Plus double what I have now to spend on weekends.

Even if you are living rent free, you should contribute some money to the household, like utilities, food, and such.

• Like 1
  • Author
Even if you are living rent free, you should contribute some money to the household, like utilities, food, and such.

Oh I will be! :).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Only if you enjoy being treated like your 15 again, having no privacy and being contanstly nagged.

• Like 2
Not every family treats their kids that way.

Yet time and time again has shown on this site, that If you move back they revert to treating you like a teenager.

• Like 2

You will show a little weakness to your family , by not handling situation and moving back to their house. but who cares, as long as it won't affect your pride in long term, do it if it will help you safe some money.

Yet time and time again has shown on this site, that If you move back they revert to treating you like a teenager.

Only if you allow it.

I agree with this to some extent. It all depends on how reasonable your parents are.

I once moved back home for a year after an accident.My parents tried to impose rules on me like I was a teenager.They wanted to know where I was at all times and who I was with.If they didn't like where I was going or the fact that I was going out on a date, my parents would berate me until I gave in or didn't go out.

Now I would have been fine with paying rent, if my parents did not insist on trying to curtail my freedom. Their old "You can't do what your brothers can" nonsense wasn't going to fly when I was 25 years old and lived alone for four years. There was no way I was going to pay rent if I was still being policed like a high school student. I also got tired of being criticized for not "cleaning well enough". I moved back out after a year, despite my parents asking me to stay. I needed my space, breathing room and freedom.

If you have parents like mine, I don't recommend you living with them. Parents who cannot accept that their children are adults, even while living at home are not worth the money you will save.

• Like 2