My family is slowly dying

crazimonkey

My mom wants to divorce my dad, and earlier i posted on here for depression and beating myself w/ a hammer. My dad claims he's going to get full custody of me. I'm only twelve, i need my mom. I can't go w/o my mom. My dad's never been there for me. What can i do? What should i do?

What your Dad said to you was what he wanted.

it doesn't mean it will happen.

The majority of children in divorce will stay with their mother. Exceptions do happen, but usually the mom has to have really bad behavior, or a really bad lawyer to lose custody of her kid.

The judge will have only your best interest at heart. If it does mean living with your dad, it will probably be ok.

Hopefully you will be awarded joint custody of your parents. This means you will live with mom during weekdays and live with your dad weekends and holidays.

even if your dad doesn't do anything with you now doesn't mean he won't in the future.

you sound very dissapointed with your dad and mabye a little angry. thats normal feelings for you in your situation. Mabye you can talk to another adult about how you feel. Ask your mom to help you and show her this message.

Have you talked to your Mom about this in order to get her version of the custody battle?

Since you've had serious depressions over this whole mess, I'm sure you have a counselor at school or elsewhere that you can talk to...who can help guide you thru your personal rights. I'm not sure if you have a choice before the age of 13.

The most important thing for you to focus on is making peace in your own heart with the divorce. You parents aren't trying to hurt you....they are hurting each other and you are kind of stuck in the middle. Don't lose your hopes and dreams just because life sometimes sucks.

Talk to whoever will listen and find out what your options are.

Please keep us informed as to how you are doing. I'm sorry you are going thru this!!! :(

overseas2004

SInce I handled a lot of divorces as a lawyer I will give you some advice.

If and when it comes time for divorce the judge will ask you since you are thirteen whom you would prefer to live with. The Court will give your wished a lot of importance. Particularly if your mom is a good mom. So you should not worry about that.

If you hit yourself with a hammer do your parents know this? Have you told them?

You must tell someone about this? This is very scary behavior for someone your age and it would be good to make sure that you get help and stop it now before you become older and are not able to stop it.

Your Dad will always, always love you but he can't make you stay with him. It's very common when parents divorce for them to want the kids to stay with them and act accordingly. But he wouldn't want to make you unhappy. Please do talk to your Mum and tell her about the hammer. This divorce is not your fault and you should be protected from the worst effects of it. Let your parents do this, tell them how you feel.

Your parents will always love you, even if they can't live together. It's horrid that you have to go through this but things will get better. Next time you feel bad please ask for help before you hurt yourself. I hope you feel better soon - post again if you need to.