My life...with...Alcoholic Parents...

Billiam1697

[font=times new roman][/font][font=arial][/font]

Well, Where to start....?? I feel that both of my parents are alcoholics. They call themselves "social drinkers" or "casual drinkers" although, I feel very different. At 18, I guess many people would say "Well you are 18 if you dont like it, then move out" But financially that is not possible. Since my parents tend to drink their paychecks away, I am responsible for putting myself through college. My main goal is to become almost the complete and udder opposite of my parents. However I will mention this, My parents have never been verbally, physically or sexually abusive towards me or my older sister. My Parents have always let me know that i am loved, and that their lives would not be complete with out my sister or me. I do not feel that my parents are in any way bad people, they just make bad decisions

Lets start with early childhood:

My older sister and I pretty much grew up in the bar. Every nite after work my parents would pick us up from the house and we would leave for the local bar, many nights we would not eat dinner until 8 or 9. On many occasions, my parents would drink themselves stupid and start to argue. Atleast once a month my sister and myself were told to pack our clothes because we were moving out with my mom.

Once i got into high school i began to take a not so good path (Not nearly as bad as it could have been). I started smoking ciggarettes and pot and drinking quite frequently. Eventually me and a friend took his grandfathers car, got a flat tire and eventually got grounded (one of their good choices). Ever since then, i have realized that i want to be totally different from my parents (as far as partying/drinking goes). My parents even went to the bar between work and my graduation ceremony.

I feel that one negative result from my parents is that they have caused me to fear confrontation. It is very hard for me to stand up for myself, what i believe, or what i think. I have listened to my parents argue so much, and see how stupid the look (mostly because they are drunk) that i never want to look like that or feel like that is how someone veiws me.

Well im not sure what else to say...I guess my life isnt that bad, but I just feel better getting that off my chest

I hear your pain, my fathers an alcoholic and unlike yourself, we had a few phsical exchanges. One time he actually said he wanted to hit me, I pointed at my chin to taunt him, and he belted me. Got on top and continued to pound away. I magaged to get out from under him, get a few shots of my own in and left home for good, bloodied and beaten, miles away from town, no car. I slept in a deserted house that night.

Most of my childhood memories are of opening beer, taking away empties and stacking the cases in the shed. The older I get, the less I care about my dad and now I might talk to him two to three times per year. I have no respect for him whatsoever. I have also faught my own battle with alcohol, not drinking daily, just not knowing my limit when I do drink. I've overcome my alcohol problems and rarely drink now, if I do, I drink very little.

Sorry to ramble, I actually have no advice to give you and no words to give you comfort. Just maybe some security in the knowledge that you will turn out allright if you want to.