How do I deal with my pessimistic stepmother?

Jagger341

Lately, my stepmother/second cousin (my dad married his cousin. Say what you want about him, but don't judge me because of his actions.) has been very pessimistic and has been yelling at me for even the smallest mistakes I make. Being a sensitive person, it easily hurts my feelings when I'm angrily yelled at. I would move out if I could, but my dad told me that I have to stay with him and her until the lease is up (which will be in January). This has also happened many times a year back and a few months ago and I have attempted suicide three times because of it. During those times I've attempted suicide, I've been hospitalized in psychiatric hospitals three times. I don't know how I can cope with this. Please help me.

LuckyCharm

Sorry your stepmom aka second cousin (eww! not judging you of course I just find it gross when first cousins want to get married!) is being mean to you!

After the lease is up are you gonna go live with your mom? how old are you? When I was 13 I had it so bad with my mom I wanted to commit suicide, the only thing stopping me was the thought that one day I can leave her house and never have to talk to her again and that she's not worthy enough for me to be ending my life!

Have you told this to your Dad?if so what does he say?

Have you tried talking to a shrink?

My best advice with you being stuck with her till Jan. would be to try to avoid her as much as possible, maybe have more sleep overs at family and friends and such.

Don't kill yourself because of it. Your life is far too valuable to be sacrificing for such a person.

What's good is that you know that what she's doing is wrong. For most of my childhood, I was horribly treated and it took me some separation from my family to realize how bad I had it.

Don't blame yourself for her actions, just remember that whatever she does is because she's a messed up person, and is putting all of the crap she has inside of her onto you.

How old are you?

Tell your Dad about it and tell a counselor if you can...

Talk to friends about it. In any case, talk to someone about it.

• Author
Sorry your stepmom aka second cousin (eww! not judging you of course I just find it gross when first cousins want to get married!) is being mean to you!

After the lease is up are you gonna go live with your mom? how old are you? When I was 13 I had it so bad with my mom I wanted to commit suicide, the only thing stopping me was the thought that one day I can leave her house and never have to talk to her again and that she's not worthy enough for me to be ending my life!

Have you told this to your Dad?if so what does he say?

Have you tried talking to a shrink?

My best advice with you being stuck with her till Jan. would be to try to avoid her as much as possible, maybe have more sleep overs at family and friends and such.

My mom's dead, and my dad isn't gonna make this any better.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it must be difficult to live with a step mother that is extreme and pessemistic. Some people are just impossible to live with and can really drag down your mood and your energy. My mother is also a very pessimistic person. Fortunately, I moved out of the house when I was 19 to marry my husband. I did go to stay with her for seven months last year to take care of her, though, (she lives in another state) and believe me it was a drain. My sister now lives with her and calls me continuously about her difficulties with Mother. The best way to handle people like that is to avoid being around them whenever possible. Stay in another room of the house so you are out of their negative energy. Leave the house at times when you are feeling overwhelmed, even if it is just for a walk around the block. That's what I had to do many times during the seven month period. Minimal contact is best, and when you have to interact, don't get into major discussions, debates or feeding into their negativity. Minimal response is the best with those types of people. I love my mother, but she sucks the life out of you if you're around her for too long. Hang in there. I know it's difficult, but someday you will be out on your own, and things will get better.

• 1 year later...
  • Author
How old are you?

Apologies for not posting a reply back then. I was 19 when I posted this (birthday is in July 10th) and currently 21. This may not matter now since this is a pretty old thread, but a lot had changed for me since my post. Currently, I am now renting an apartment (by myself), my second cousin (not with my dad anymore) is currently living with her mom as far as I know, and my dad's current situation and whereabouts are unknown. Long story for this, so I guess I could post a thread about my success story of overcoming emotional torture.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Author

For now, all I want to do is get into a healthy lifestyle. As far as dating plans go, it's low priority.

Have you ever considered volunteering? It's a great way to help steer your life on the right track, and give back at the same time. Even if it's just at your local animal shelter.

A stepfamily is a family where one parent has children that are not related to the other parent. Either one or both parents may have children from a previous relationship. Children from a stepfamily may live with one biological parent and visit their other biological parent, or they may live with each biological parent for a period of time.