cell phone - take 2

So now it's about me hurting them by not keeping the cell on all day. I don't understand this. I see them at home every day, why does it hurt them that I refuse to be available 24-7?! Sure, my dad is available to us 24-7, but hey - that's his choice, and I'm not like him.

uggghhh....

-yes

it's kinda hard to explain to your parents why they can't have access to you 24 hours a day, isn't it? I guess maybe this is their way of keeping you "safe" under their protection or something, knowing they can get hold of you at all times.

maybe if you explain (over and over and over!) that you see this phone strictly as a means of contacting people in event of an emergency, and that otherwise you can be contacted directly at work, it'll eventually sink in. That's what my husband and I do -- tell people to call our home number and we'll call them back if they leave a message (we can retrieve messages from other locations). We don't give out the cell numbers unless we absolutely have to, but even then we explain that we don't leave it turned on, it's simply a "9-1-1" phone.

My parents know I carry a phone when I drive across the state to see them (or work out of town), but that I don't leave it turned on. Instead, they can expect a call from a certain gas station or restaurant I always stop at about midway in my trip to see them. If I can't get them, I call my husband to let him know I've reached the half-way point and have him call my folks to let them know where I am and when I expect to be in. A bit involved, but it's the best solution for me, since I don't like using the cell unless I absolutely have to.

Just keep explaining to your parents that you see the phone as emergency equipment, a lifeline of sorts for when you encounter trouble and have no wish to abuse it. My guess is that once they see you are acting wisely, they'll chill out ...

BTW are you the youngest or an only child left at home? Parents sometimes get a little overprotective in those situations ...

• Author

hi,

yep, I'm the only child, in fact.

i guess i just have to wait it out ... my phone number at work can only be used in urgent cases, since its in the other room. I can be reached by email instantly, but my mom doesn't want to bother turning on the computer, ugh.

she seems hurt because i dont create the opportunity to just call and say 'hi', but i don't see the need for that considering we see each other daily - we live together!!

thanks for your reply...

-yes

yep, sounds like she's going through the classic "my baby is leaving the nest" syndrome. just be firm, but gentle with her and your dad. They probably are having a hard time handling the fact that the little girl they've raised all this time is now at the verge of going out on her own, and need a little reassurance that you still need them in your life. To be honest, I don't think age makes a difference, because once they consider you their "baby," they are going to whatever they can to "protect" you. good luck!