am i wrong here? (cell phone issues)

about a year ago, i had a big fight with my folks over cell phones - they wanted me to carry one, and i refused. in the end, we decided on a pager so that they have access to me in case of emergency; instead, my dad got me a cell because it came out cheaper on some plan - whatever, i simply kept it turned off, only turning it on to make a call or when somebody specifically asked me to turn it on at a certain time.

summer comes around and i have a full-time job at an office where about 5-6 people share one phone. so I give my parents the number, saying that since it's not my personal phone, call only in case of emergency. to which my mom says - well why don't you keep your cell on? Me, quite surprised, said - well, you have the other # for emergency, and if it's not emergency then .......

So she blew up saying fine - case closed, i dont need the phone number anyway, i dont have any emergencies for you, you're not 911.

I said - fine, good night. (what was the point of discussing it?)

I just want an outsider's opinion - am i being selfish here?? I just don't like the cell, and don't wanna worry about turning it on, off, etc... I overheard her say to my dad that she was OK with it before because I was going all over the place, but now that I'm in one place most of the day, I should keep it on.

grrrr,

-yes

No, I wouldn't say your selfish, but speaking as a parent myself, I'm very glad my son keeps one in his car. He doesn't like bothering with it either. It's off for the most part but it gives me security knowing he can call me if he has to. I rarely call him and when I have, the phone is usually off. My main concern of him having one is if he has car trouble in the winter weather here on his drive out to the college which is along a rural stretch of highway where it is easy to slide into a ditch.

Maybe just calmly tell your mom that you'll keep it with you and call if you have to, but otherwise it will be off. I'm about the most worrywort of a mother and if I'm okay with it, I'm sure your mom would be to. Plus, if you're at work I doubt you'ld like a lot of personal calls anyway or if that's even okay with your boss. You might mention that too. I never liked talking at work on the phone to family and friends because everyone hears all your business.

BTW, I once locked my keys in my car at the gas station and did reach him on the cell, so it saved MY day!

• Author

I always have it with me, but OFF. Precisely like you described - so I can call home if i'm going to be late, so that i can call if the car breaks down, etc.

That's how it's been for a year or so! I guess I'll just wait it out & see if she was just overstressed that day...

thanks for your reply!

-yes

PS I don't have a boss within audible radius, and we speak a language other than english at home, so she can shoot down these two reasons you suggested... But i think me not wanting to turn it on and off every time i go off to the washroom, to a meeting, for lunch, etc, is already a reason good enough.

Yes -

What happens if your mom or dad or some other family member or friend has an emergency and needs to get in touch with you and you're not at work? Have you thought of that? I have a 22-yr-old son and I'm so grateful that he carries a cellphone and always has it on. It gives me peace of mind somehow. When he's at work or somewhere where he doesn't want it to ring, he puts it on vibrate. I rarely call him on it, but just knowing that I can at any time makes me rest easier.

This is on another topic, but kind of related. I had a 21-year-old stepson who was in a serious motorcycle accident three years ago. He was unconscious (never regained consciousness and died 2 days later). He was airlifted to the hospital. He didn't carry our phone number on him and therefore we weren't notified. He lived with his mother and somehow she was contacted (probably from the address on his driver's license), but since we have an unlisted phone number and she didn't know it, she couldn't contact us. Finally someone at the hospital got the operator on the phone and told them it was a life and death emergency and they rang our number. This was FOUR hours after his accident - lots of wasted time. He didn't have a cellphone on him that night that would have had his numbers programmed into it. That would have been an easy way for the police to contact his family. There are so many reasons that I encourage cellphones for everybody, but this is just one example.

jessicakicksbut

We live in a society that is so reliant on technology, it is almost to the point where we forgot to function without it. How did one ever live 20 years ago before the invention of a cell phone, a computer, or a palm pilot. But, there is no looking back since having all these things is now the average "standard of living", and we are to a point where without these things, life would be complicated. Well, I am not even going to dare complain about technology, that's how I earn my paycheck (work in the chemicals/technology field). It's just a shame we have become so reliant on it.

• Author

As i stated in my original post, there's a phone # they can reach me at in case of emergency (the one shared by a bunch of people).

-yes

PS My parent's numbers are in the phonebook of my cell, which i do carry around, albeit OFF.

thanks for everyone's replies.

I realize that carrying emergency numbers in your wallet is a much better way for emergency personnel to contact family in case you're hurt. I urge everybody to do that.