sick of being criticized

I havent been feeling good lately and had a sore throat and the pain is worse today then yesterday.So I called up the doctor and scheduled my appointment to get it checked.I told my mother Im going to the doctors tommorow and now shes mad at me telling me I did the wrong thing but Im in alot of pain.I tried to do something for myself and shes mad at me for it.I avoided telling her about my sore throat cause everytime I tell her I need to see a doctor she gets very demading and tries to talk me out of it.When it comes to medical issues we seem to get in an argument,thats the reason I avoided telling her.Now since I tried to save a argument she mad at me cause I went and called to schedule an appointment.So I just said to her Ill cancel the appointment.Im in alot of pain and thought I did the right thing by calling but to her now shes telling me I shouldnt of.

She says that sore throats go away on their own but when I get it the pain is unbearable.Should I cancel the appointment to make her happy? I dont even know what to say to her now.I just started crying cause Im sick of her always dissagreeing with me telling me Im wrong.I dont know what to do now.I thought I did the right thing by calling the doctor.

Patty

No offense, but your mother is a controlling nutcase. If you feel bad, go to the doctor. It couldn't hurt anything, and might possibly end up helping, or even saving your life. Tell her to mind her own business. Assuming you're old enough to be living on your own, and are not relying on your mother for financial suport, maybe you should live your own life and tell your mother if she can't accept that, then she should stop contacting you completely until she can.

quankanne

Don't cancel that appointment just yet! Go see the doctor if you're still feeling bad, and tell him that you've noticed that when you get a sore throat it always hurts bad, and share your concern with him that you think it could be a sign of something more serious. It's HIS job, not your mom's, to heal you. You're a big girl who knows when something isn't right with your body, no one else can feel the pain you feel when something doesn't feel right because it hurts a certain way. Your mom is just going to have to get used to you making these kinds of decisions. (Incidentally, I've found that calling the doc's office several hours before I'm supposed to be there works when I have to cancel. Gives you a bit of time to be sure you have improved, and gives them a small window to reschedule or bump up patients)

... I'm bad about procrastinating when I get upper respiratory infections, because I tell myself that it'll go away in a day or so because it's "really just a cold." The last time, I decided to act immediately when I noticed certain symptoms, and I'm glad I did because I nipped what could have been a really ugly sinus infection in the bud by getting antibiotics right away. You've just got to go with your gut feeling

jo anne

P.S. I do like the new avatar you've put up -- has given me something to smile about after a kinda crappy week also involving family.

HokeyReligions

Patty, I'm sorry you are not well, but I'm glad you are asserting some independence. If you are sick, calling the doctor is the right thing to do.

Perhaps your mother is worried about the finances - I don't know your financial situation and paying for doctor visits, but if you're hurting you need to find out why and be treated.

You've had a sore throat for 2 days now -- usually, if it's a cold, the symptoms will change and the sore throat will go away after a couple-three days, (my sore throats have never lasted longer than 24 hours) but you run a higher rist of other infections setting in and why go through the pain.

I say, see the doctor this time, and tell you mother that the next time something like this happens you will ask her advice before you decide what to do. That may appease her and let her feel that she is needed, but also will let her know that the decision is YOURS and not hers.

cindy0039

I agree with the others. It could be strep or an infection or something. I had a bad sore throat a few weeks ago (and a cough) and I called and went to the doctor. He ended up giving me antibiotics and cough medicine. So I say if you feel bad, go. It can't hurt. Don't let your mom get to you. Just do what you think is right for yourself.

• Author

Thanks everyone.Hearing your opinions helped.Im doing what I should for myself for myself for now on. Whether what she thinks is not important, its how I feel is important and my health comes first.I even told her that.

Patty

• 1 month later...