bad news

After I got back from work I came in telling my mother how my day was as usual untill she broke the news to me.

I just found out my sister is moving to Florida and my niece and nephew are and my brother in law is looking for work down there.Im just in a terrible shock right now, cause out of all people I never thought she would move out of state.Its not going to be the same anymore.I will miss them very much.They always lived close to us just down the street for many years.Im feeling really sad.I was very close with them and now it wont be like that.I just started crying feeling really sad about this.

Patty

I can certainly understand that you will miss them but it's pretty selfish just to think about yourself in this matter. Your sister obviously feels she and her family will be better off in Florida, where there are many job opportunities, little cold weather and lots of sun.

Try to be happy for them, wish them well, and look forward to frequent visits to see them in the Sunshine State...home of DisneyWorld, great beaches...and the President's brother is governor.

Always be as supportive as possible when dealing with the decisions of family members. Your happiness is a decision YOU make for yourself.

• Author

I think its normal to feel like I am.Im not selfish,Im not sure what you mean by that.

Of course Im happy for her but cant help to feel sad too.

Ill defenitely come and visit them.I never been on a plane before but I guess Ill get to see what thats like.

Patty

HokeyReligions

Wow, that is difficult. I remember watching my good friend move away and the next year it was me moving away. It's an adjustment for everyone and yes, its very natural and normal to feel sad and think about the impact to you. There is nothing wrong with that.

Think about going to visit them though too -- that will be good for you and you'll have fun and new experiences. You can be creative in your letter writing (or emails, or whatever) too.

Maybe you can make a point of going somewhere new each month and writing about it - send a different letter about the same topic to your sis and to each of your neices/nephews.

if you've been pretty consistent about phoning each other, invest in a prepaid calling card so you can keep in touch with her. I'm sure that while your sister and her family are looking forward to the move, they'll still be missing y'all a lot, the same as you'll miss them.

It's hard to see your family leave, but the plus side of them going is that now you've got some place to go on vacation!

• Author

Yea.on my vacations Im planning on going to see them.Ive been to Florida when I was a little baby my mother said ,but I dont remember it cause I was to small.Although,my mother says I was cranky the whole drive down.So in a way I cant wait to see Florida again cause I was just a baby when I went and dont remember the trip and my mother is holding me in the picture standing by Busch Gardens but Im sure it has changed alot since, Ive been there.Im planning on going during my vacations.

Patty

• 3 weeks later...

when things change-and your support and kinship system changes-its NATURAL...for two seconds....to think "but what about ME?" and mourn. you will miss people you love-and no nothing will be the same-but i HARDLY think its selfishness. everything we do affects someone-and others moves affect us. what you need to focus on is how much postive change this will bring to the people you plan to miss-and kiss them good bye with a smile on your face ;) life is always changing. i'm not that hot with change either-but you'll roll with the punches the more experienced you get :)

Hey Patty, I'd love to see you go down to Florida; it's a great place to visit. So don't take offence to this, I'd like to help.

Make sure you find out what method of travel you are going to use, plane, bus, train etc and Save Money Accordingly!!

Be sure to get all your tickets as far in advance as you can, that way you can sometimes get them cheaper.

Be sure to plan this with your relatives so they can pick you up when you get there.

Humm... I know their is something I've left out, so maybe some other members can help me out.

• Author

Thanks Tolkien and everyone for the advice.I have been saving my money.Just in case I go there on vacation.

Patty