I don't quite get it

wierdmunky

Is it really helpful to tell your kids that they are "followers" and doing something that they don't approve of, is incomprehensible because it "should" register in your brain? to not do those things? I feel like its an insult to anyone's thinking ability, and bothers me that I can't interject in this conversation. I feel that it is hurting my brother. I know that he is being a punk at this stage in his life, they say things like, if you lie, you lose your ability to use logic. I don't want my brother to get the wrong ideas of their discipline, although I do agree that what he is doing is wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Eh....I had a bit of trouble reading this.

So your brother is rebelling and doing some morally wrong stuff. Your parent(s) are punishing him for this but not saying...wait, what?!

Your parents verbal insults are probably also not effective as well as just plain wrong. They think they are reasoning with him...but really with teens , when they are being "punks" as you describe...just using consequences is best. As in - you stole something, so now you have to work to pay back the value PLUS restitution . Whatever. Tangible consequences, fewer words. Conversations dont work unless they are 2 way and arguments not at all.