parents make me feel bad, but is it really me?

soozie86

So about 5 months ago I started dating my boyfriend and I've never been happier in this area of my life. However, on the job front I worked for a call centre which I hated but loved the people. Then I managed to get a job in a hospital lab which I thought would be better, anyway I now work there and I hate it more than ever, the people are not even nice.

To cut a long story short, I suggested to my mum that I get a part time job and volunteer so i can find a career I would enjoy.

She did not like that idea and said I'm not doing that and that as long as i live at home I have to have a full time job.

Also, for the last 5 months she says I'm always nasty to her and have an attitude.

I don't think I do, so i think she may be jealous of me. what do people think? thank you in advance for any replies :) btw I'm 22.

Look for a full-time job elsewhere.

Examine your attitude to your mum.

If she believes you've become more tetchy, and that it's only been for the last few months, it coincides with your meeting your BF.. which obviously, you're implying.

When we meet someone new, it does alter our dynamic with others.

We want to be 'with him', so we don't want to be 'with them'.

We also want to flee the nest.

You are of age, so maybe you should be looking to find a F/T job AND move out?

Take an objective step back and examine whether there might be some truth in her perception.

It's nobody's fault, strictly speaking - there have been Life-Changes....But you might want to just see whether there is an element of truth, and what you might have to take responsibility for.

All I know is, when I met my first real BF, I turned into the teen-b*tch from Hell....

My poor mum! :D

To be frank, why would a adult who maintains/owns her own home be jealous of a 22 year old who has a crappy job (sorry!) and has to live with her parent(s)?

I suspect that your mother thinks that your desire for a "part-time job and to volunteer in order to find a new career" is just a very good sounding ploy to not work many hours and have more free time to hang out with your BF.

You are 22 and working full-time. Time to be working your butt off, saving money like crazy, and moving out to live on your own.