Dad's wife...

redfathom

My dad remarried about three years ago to a woman he only knew for six months. I am happy for him, I always wanted him to find someone to spend the rest of his life with (especially as he get's older). His wife is nice, but...

She is strange sometimes and I find it hard to be comfortable around her. It's that she doesn't know how to socialize and will say things that aren't acceptable. It's like watching a play, and she is playing the role of everyone, (and talks like Elizabeth Bennet's mom from the Price and Pred. movie with Colin Firth -anyone who has seen this will know what I mean) I can tell my dad is sometimes uncomfortable around her. Example: One time we were out to dinner and she started talking about how kissable my dad's lips are!! Ewwww...inappropriate!:sick:

She likes to drink and get's very drunk which is when she is at her worst... My dad has to sometimes insist she doesn't drink when they invite me out.

This weekend we went to dinner and she had 1.5 long island ice tea's, my dad kept having to shhh her because she was being load, she was being rude to the waiter's, and again she started talking about inappropriate topics. She tried to insist my H say Grace, when he is Jewish and I am pretty much agnostic...my dad had to ask her to quietly say it to herself (for the record, we don't mind participating when she says Grace, but we don't want to initiate it or lead it).

My concern is this: Fathers Day is coming up and I wanted to take my dad to a nice restautant, he never goes to anything nicer then Black Angus, or Sizzler. The thing is, I don't want another awkward dinner with her getting sauced and acting foolish.

Should I just buy him something instead of taking him to dinner?

whichwayisup

Uhh, why not just take him to dinner alone? Spend time with him without her.

Just because this woman is married to your father, doesn't mean she has to go out with the two of you.

If you say "Dad, I would love to take you out somewhere nice. It's been so long since we've had father/daughter time." it tells him you want some one on one time. Think that might work?

If she is inappropriate when she drinks and it makes everyone uncomfortable and she is going to be around for a looong time:

You Dad is going to have to tell her, in no uncertain terms, she has a one drink limit or none.

Its his job if he wants to do it, she is his partner. You can encourage him to do it, but you cannot tell her yourself.

• Author

He has actually told her this before. On one of the first times I went out with them we went to Karokea and she got so drunk...She wanted me to go sing with her and I didn't want to, so she grabed my arm and dug her nails in actually making me bleed a little. I ended up going on stage just to get her to stop, then she stood there and didn't sing...my dad told her next time that she couldn't drink alcohol...and it was better.

When we went out this weekend, she asked my dad to order her an ice tea, when she came back to the table she told the waiter it was the wrong drink, she wanted a Long Island Ice Tea...

I was hoping to go out to dinner with my dad and my husband which is why I thought it would be rude for just the three of us to go, but if I want to take him to dinner I will need to ask my hubby to stay home too...