Our parents sacrificed their love for our love

I was living in a different city for my job. There I met a very handsome, nice decent guy & love was the obvious result. We married without wasting time. Our marriage notice was so soon that our parents just arrived at the day of our wedding. My Dad was divorced with my Mom 2 years ago & his Dad died 5 years ago. So, both of us have single parents. But after our wedding we came to know that my Dad & his Mom(my Mom-in-law) were dating for longtime since we hadn’t even met & they were in love too. They broke up their relationship just because of our marriage. His mother believes in a big blended family where stepbrother, stepsister shouldn’t get married. Here we are already married, she doesn’t encourage the idea to put us in stepbrother & stepsister relation. We felt so guilty that they sacrificed their love for us. Sometimes I thought why god made such coincidence? Is my Mom-in-law right? Is there anything we can do? Totally confused. Need good suggestions, so that we can come out from this guilt.

That's a tough one, Silvie.

My thoughts are running along the lines of transforming your guilt into gratitude.

Since you believe that your Dad and MiL sacrificed, you and your Husband can be grateful for their sacrifice, and honour it by creating the happiest, most successful marriage of all times :love:

As a neutral observer, I am seeing their action as a choice that they made for themselves, of their own Free Will. From this perspective, you can also transform your guilt into acceptance and humility: acceptance for the choices that they made, and humility for the fact that you don't really have the power to "prevent" people who are meant to be together from being together. There was/is something Bigger at play than what is obvious.

Wishing all of you much happiness in the future.